1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Use Smartphone as MP3/MP4 player?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Big Elf, 21 Jan 2015.

1. Xir

Xir Modder

Rocket Player works, Thx!

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Quick update. I bought the Moto G 2nd Gen and am extremely pleased with it as it does exactly what I want.

It doesn't need a SIM to use although I've now put one in just in case of emergencies.

Battery life in Aeroplane mode with Wifi and 3G off is excellent. It uses around 2-3% an hour playing music with the screen off and around 1-2% a day in Standby. I estimate it'll go a minimum of 10 days between charges.

Unfortunately the switch on my headphones is too sensitive (it didn't work with the iPod) and I kept accidentally switching on the music player just by handling them so I've had to disable it. Sound quality is better than the iPod.

3. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Glad its working out well! I've had my moto g for maybe 2-3 months, and I'm still impressed with the phone, and its cost.

4. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

worth mentioning that the moto G 2nd gen (2014) isnt 4G, where Moto G LTE is and still has the SD card slot. original moto G has none

edit, just seen that this wont be used for a phone

5. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

That reminds me. Although the spec says the maximum MicroSD capacity is 32GB on the 2nd Gen it will take 64GB (and possibly 128GB) if you format it with FAT32 although that will limit maximum file size to 4GB.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Started to use my phone as MP3 player again on day to day commute ( around 2hrs all told) and the battery life bearly moves. Most new phones will do 40-50 hrs of music playback with the network settings disabled.

7. silk186

silk186 Derp

If you put a larger SD card than supported it should work fine but I've read that it will make the phone slower, not sure if this is true. Poweramp and MX player are what I use with music and video.