1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays User Review: Yuraku 24" M-PVA (HDCP)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Xtrafresh, 8 May 2008.

1. Poisonous

Poisonous Incestuious

let's be fair, let's be fair, let's be fair, let's be fair, let's be fair, let's be fair, let's be fair, let's be fair, let's be fair, let's be fair, let's be fair.

Lot of that going on.

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I dunno, I found it quite funny. But let's be fair, it wound you up :D

3. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

lol! that was intentional, but thanks for noticing :thumb:

The reason i came to this is that you really have to manage your expectations for this screen. Expect any other screen you can get for the money, and you'll be happy. Expect any other 24" PVA screen, and you won't :p

4. mcolbourn

mcolbourn What's a Dremel?

Just thought I would just post a pic of mine too:)

[​IMG]

5. elberto

elberto What's a Dremel?

I've been lurking on this forum for awhile and I bought one of these about a week ago after finding the initial info from kenco_uk and seeing this review. The frame build quality isn't amazing but it holds the panel in front of my eyes. The panel in mine is the AU-M240UW01-V3. When it first arrived there was a slight pinkish tone to the whites around the edges of the screen this seems to have dissipated in the last week though. My panel has one stubbornly stuck pixel (blue is stuck on so its only noticeable on a black background), I'm hoping this will un-stick its self eventually. Image quality is great and contrary to some other threads I've found the panel easy to colour calibrate. I'm very happy with the monitor and now find the piddly little 20" iMac I use at work annoyingly small ;)

Some more info I've found out screwing around with it;

720p input is zoomed over DVI and stretched over VGA. I don't have a 1080p signal to test.
    Press M & + to get to the panel info then press M again to get into a diagnostic menu. This menu scares me with it's many complicated acronyms however, its easier to use to calibrate the monitor colour and has about 12 test patterns in it to check for defects. To leave the menu you need to turn the monitor off.

All in all, superb value for just over 200quid.

Thanks kenco and Xtrafresh and hello bit-tech! :thumb:

6. kenco_uk

Heh, notaprob dude :thumb: Welcome and nice first post!

I went through that diagnostic menu, too and thought wtf, I can't exit :)

Good (in a way) to hear about the in-built scaling. For the stubborn pixel, try looking through the suggestions here.

7. imkeller

imkeller What's a Dremel?

That really is an excellent bit-tech worthy review!:hehe:

8. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

9. Elz

Elz miaow

dammit!

So after reading all this praise, I bought one of these babies from Misco (thanks for the link!). Unfortunately the damn thing doesn't turn on. You can hear it's receiving power with the cable plugged in, it just seems the power button is broken and no amount pressing will help. Sucks. And now I have all the trouble of returning the blasted thing.

I must say though, it's smegging huge! I mean I'm stepping up from a 17" crt here (yeah, i know), so it's like something out of 2001: A Space Odyssey for me. I can't wait to actually use one that works :)

10. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

yikes, that must suck... i sure hope Misco's aftersales are gunna treat you right.

Good luck, and have fun using it when you get it back :thumb:

11. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

My bro had a similar problem, none of the buttons worked, it was on though out the box so useable, Misco tried to palm him off to Yaruku for the RMA and it wasn't until he started quoting distance selling regulations and the sale of goods act at them that they agreed to pick it up. They sorted it sharpish after that though.

12. Elz

Elz miaow

Yikes, that doesn't bode well. Did he get a replacement that worked?

13. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

The replacements damned fine and in full fettle. Just don't let them pass the buck. I've still got a copy of the email that was sent to them so if you have any problems send a PM I'll forward it on. I have to say I was massively impressed with the picture when I saw it if only i had some spare cash atm.

14. Elz

Elz miaow

Well, they're coming tomorrow to pick the old one, and i've placed an order for the new one. Here's hoping somebody is around when they come to pick it up, and that I have better luck with the monitor this time!

15. Elz

Elz miaow

Just for the record, guys:

Misco picked up the old monitor. And I've got a new one now. Guess what? It doesn't work either. This one switches on, but then it makes that crackling sound like when a power cable isn't properly connected (i've pushed it in as far as it will go, I assure you, and even tried loosening it a bit). I see the desktop for a few seconds, then it disappears and the crackling stops (which might actually be some kind of fail-safe), though the power light remains on. I can turn the monitor off then on again, and the same thing happens.

I can take bad build quality but obviously not when it means I'm playing a lottery as to whether I receive a product that works. I doubt I'll be ordering another one - it's hard enough organising these deliveries as it is.

I should say though that Misco have been very, very good. Efficient and communicative. Assuming they give me my due two refunds I can only say good things about them.

16. kenco_uk

That's a shame.. obviously a serious quality control issue.

17. format

format What's a Dremel?

A similar thing happened to my DGM one from ebuyer, which is pretty much an exact clone of this one apart from the logo on the front.
    I'm in contact with ebuyer atm, organising a return.

18. TAKTAK

TAKTAK I R Pandi

how much are you betting on that?.....

the replacement hardlocks (blank screen and nothing works) every so often, and the only way to bring it back to life is drain the power

But i CBA to go through the rigmarol of RMAing and being without a monitor for a month again...

it seems to be fine once the monitor has passed the initial 'warm up period' but when it's first turned on it lasts about 5 mins normally :wallbash:
    just means i have to plan ahead :(

i'll just make a direct claim on the warranty in a year or so, seeing as though 'the product has not had a satisfactory operational period" just need to keep an eye on things to make sure they don't go EOL otherwise i could end up getting fobbed off as having gained from usage therefore getting about 25p :eek: (i have made sure i have video evidence incase they try to pull a fast one in the future.....)

*yes... this is me being assimilated into Bit ;)

19. kesa20

kesa20 spaceman

hey, that's really an informative review. but to be honest i've never heard of this manufacturer before.

20. kenco_uk

Thread from the dead in 3.. 2.. 1..

I discovered the recent problems I've had with what I thought was my PC playing up.. initially there was no bios display and the other day there was no signal whatsoever. Until I used the vga port. It seems the dvi port on mine has given up the ghost :cry: At least the vga port still works. I really don't want to replace it!

Anyone else still got theirs?

Tags: