1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

using a cable modem with an adsl router

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Hardware150, 23 Sep 2007.

1. Hardware150

Hardware150 Minimodder

I was wondering if it was possible to use a cable modem and adsl router together, i need the router for the wireless functionality, the router seems to automatically bridge the connection between the modem and any other devices i have connected other the ethernet, but it won't do the same thing for the wireless.

I have being trying to make the router see the modem as its default internet gateway, without any luck

I am using a d-link dsl-g604t router and a virgin media cable modem

Its probably impossible but i thought id check anyway

Any feedback much appreciated

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Does the router have a WAN port?

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Should work without problems. Log into your router and switch it to dynamic IP. Make sure that WiFi is switched on and whether it is IP filtering or any device with the right security key can hook up.

4. IAmATeaf

IAmATeaf Minimodder

You need to set the default gateway of the router to be the ip address of the cable modem. Not sure how you do this on a d-link though so have a look though the d-link manuals.

5. Hardware150

Hardware150 Minimodder

Still having problems, there isn't the options with this router that i have with others (i personally have a netgear) the person who owns the router didn't realize he had the wrong type of router for his connection so i was just trying to get it working so he didn't have to take it back.

edit
    also i plugged the modem directly into the computer and wrote down all the ip's that i needed but i am unsure of the pvc settings, i wouldent think it would need anything but the router asks for these values anyway

6. ufk

ufk Licenced Fool

A dsl g604t is a adsl modem router not a router, the cable modem will take care of the logging in but the dsl604t is expecting an adsl signal through its rj11 port for connectivity, as far as i know you cant make it get the IP from a LAN port as opposed to the WAN rj11 socket

Tags: