1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using a poweredge 1600 dual Xeon server for gaming..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bigal, 4 Dec 2005.

1. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

Hi, i currenty run a single processor xp2800+ with 768meg ram and a geforce fx 5500 AGP 8x running dual screens. it has a 60gig and 160gig standard boring old hdds.

Now the thing is someone has just given me a like new poweredge 1600SC server with currently only one 2.8ghz XEON processor and 768 meg ram, no hdds though. (onboard 8mb video)

Now what i am wondering is weither it would be worth selling / giving my pc to my parents and getting a graphics card (sadly server only has 2 pci-x slots - so cant use my current gfx card), some decent hdds (Sata or scsi? or one normal IDE and 2 satas?) and maby another 2.8 processor and using that as my main rig. The only thing that concerns me is weither itll be upto gaming, being taloured towards number crunching and the like...

What do you guys think?

2. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

BTW it has:
    • 2 x 64-bit/100MHz PCI-X (Supports 3.3v or Universal cards)
    • 2 x 64-bit/66MHz PCI (Supports 3.3v or Universal cards)
    • 2 x 32-bit/33MHz PCI (Supports legacy 5v or Universal cards)

i guess PCI-X is pci express...

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nope, PCI-X is PCI-X. Server PCI.

It hasnt been designed for gaming, so you have no AGP or PCIe port. Whack it on the FS forum and someone should take it, PCI-X slots are useful for those who want terrabit harddisk farms.

4. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I'll take it ;)

5. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

so it has no graphics capabilities at all? bugger... its going on ebay then! cheers ppl you just saved me from one hell of an embarrisment of ordering a new pci express GFX card and sata drives for it!

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Dont bother ebaying it, loads of people **** server stuff on ebay. Try the FS forums, or, indeed phuzz.

7. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

That's sick!

Seriously though, what got censored?

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

shift

i missed out an f

9. bigal

bigal Fetch n Execute

haha, ok i will put it on in a few days, i have to check with the origional owner if thats ok though, i will have to give him a cut if i sell it, part of the agreement... shame it would of rocked... 5.6ghz of power!! anyway such is life.

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Common misconception, but until everything is threaded (which isn't far off at this point), you can just run two things at 2.8ghz, not one thing at 5.6.