1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Using metal tubing for the support of a case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Yumirow, 8 Sep 2020.

1. Yumirow

Yumirow What's a Dremel?

I'm planning on doing a case and i have the rough design pretty much set. But it implies having metal tubing wrapping the case, which means i need to do some loops with my tubing.
    I wondered what were the options in front of me to close those loops, i can probably solder the two ends together, but i don't have anything to solder large piece of metal, and I don't know if metal tubing (of 1-2cm of diameter) can handle a 135° bend (and I don't know how to pull it off) (the 135° angle is part of the design). So i wondered if I could just use some fittings, but in this case I would need them to stay as the same diameter than the tubing (and I didn't see any that wasn't clip from the outside).
    Anyway, I wanted your opinion on the subject and your alternative solutions if you have some
    Thank's for reading !

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Have a look on YouTube on bending 22mm copper pipe, see if it's suitable? The pipe itself is abundant and a set of benders can be had cheap enough.

It can be a bit tricky to get it all lined up correctly but a 135° angle should be no bother.

3. Yumirow

Yumirow What's a Dremel?

Thank's for your answer.
    So i've looked into all of that, and came to some conclusion. First using a 135° angle make the inside of the angle pretty unusuable, so i redesigned to get more of a 120~110 angle.
    I've looked into those tube benders, but I would need to have a radius of 30mm or less inside the bend, which seems to be quite far off what the benders are able to do (the only ones where the bend radius was given it was smthg like 60mm+).

So i was wondering if heat bending would be a thing to consider

4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

If you need a tighter bend radius than the standard former than I'm not sure how you would go about it?

You can buy elbow joints but I've only ever seen them in 90° and 45°

Do you have a drawing of what you're trying to achieve?

5. Yumirow

Yumirow What's a Dremel?

https://ibb.co/4pHSFx2

This is roughly what i'm trying to do, the goal is to have a tube going around the case, locking both the top and bottom plate

6. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I know from my time, long, long ago, as a plumber's mate after leaving school, that any tighter than that with 22mm pipe, is likely unachievable without the inside of the bend being badly wrinkled.