1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Using Modem to make phone calls

Discussion in 'Software' started by woodshop, 16 Apr 2006.

1. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

First i'm NOT talking about VoIp.

Along time ago back when Highspeed internet did not exist people used 56k or worse Modems.

Now in the modern day most of us still have one or more of these Modems lieing around in nonuse as we now use high speed which needs a different kind of Modem.

Now my question is. is there a bit of software out there that will allow me to use this old 56k Modem to place normal Phone calls as you would from any other form. I just figured this would have been done and think it would be cool to do this since well i don't want to get off my but everytime the phone rings and the batteries always die at the worst time on the cordless.

Searching this is next to imposable now since VoIp and such turn up result after result of usless crap.

2. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Yes it is.
    My modem comes with software to do this I am afraid. and is I've looked into it before, and it is keyed to my modem only :p
    It is an has intel 536ep chipset btw. (works WONDERFULLY under linux).

does your modem have any kind of connectors on it, if so you should be able to use the phone dialer in win xp to dial out. (whilst using a cd-rom like audio cable going into your soundcard.)

If not, you might have audio ports on the pci bracket under/above the phone jacks.

Failing that, as Goat has mentioned in IRC, you may need to write your own software.
    Or perhaps have a look into winfax.

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

4. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Thats very similar to the built in app that windows has (I think it still has it)

Also, checking on intels site again only reveals driver downloads, but no application download.
    And I no longer have the driver CD for my modem since I was broken into :p

post specs/pics of them modem.. and I can tell you if it is capable.

Or are you looking for a modem that has voice support? If so, look for data/fax/voice (or similar).

5. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

I wasn't really expecting something to be hardware dependen't.. Not use what modem it is i have two both are intergrated into my laptops. I was hoping to find like several option see how they work and if i like one i'd spend the $10 and get a pci one for my tower.

6. JackLancer

JackLancer What's a Dremel?

Phone dialer

I have an incredibly simple solution.
    go to [insert drive letter]\program files\windows NT\
    Click on dialer.exe and viola! you got it! if any of you have more tech questions

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Or, hay, why not post them here? :eyebrow:

8. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Way to dig up a 3 year old thread... And to spam your tech services... That dialer software looks like it could work though. But I think Woodshop as found the solution to that problem many moons ago.

9. cliffclof

cliffclof What's a Dremel?

helped me

Well it helped me.

10. vaslimdt

vaslimdt What's a Dremel?

helped me too

may be an old thread but helped me too. thx

***I just got a new modem and its sooo much faster. Whohoo.

Last edited: 7 May 2015
Tags: