1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Using Office 2010

Discussion in 'Software' started by mucky1957, 5 Mar 2022.

1. mucky1957

mucky1957 What's a Dremel?

I am running Windows 10 on my home PC and have Office 2010 installed. I am aware that support is disappearing soon and my question is will it be safe to continue using Office 2010 or do I need to upgrade to Office 365 ( which I think is Office 2019 )
    I like using the Outlook option for email. It is clear and uncluttered and I would like to continue using it. As far as the other Office apps are concerned I only use Publisher and Word.
    I believe without new security updates any emails with attachments ‘might’ contain a virus which would not be spotted but I believe that as long as all I do is right click the attachments and run my anti-virus software to check them before opening them I would be ok.

Can anyone advise what my best options are.

I have been told that if I upgrade to Office 2019 there is no going back to Office 2010 if I don’t like it and that when I upgrade my pc ( which I will be doing sometime ) I won’t be able to continue using Office 2010 anyway.

Thanks

2. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

Office 2010 has been out of support for 18 months
    I don't think publisher comes with any of the home 365 packages, which at a minimum I think leaves you having to use th Office 365 Apps for Business package which is about £10 a month https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/microsoft-365/business/microsoft-365-apps-for-business?activetab=pivot:eek:verviewtab

I don't think you'll get Publisher on any of the perpetual 2021 versions either outsdie of volume licensing, and Outlook isn't available either unless you go Home and Business.

I'd personally just go for Apps for Business, It would involve a little more set up as you'd need to create a 365 tenancy to manage the subscription.

Last edited: 5 Mar 2022
  3. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

TBH you may want to look at Libre office as a free alternative.

It can open/save in Word formats, handles more file types than Office, hell, you can even edit PDFs.

https://www.libreoffice.org/

As for Publisher I believe it can open those files but there may be an alternative option there too (just not in libreoffice). @Gareth Halfacree may know (he knows everything about everything about that sort of thing)

blackerthanblack likes this.
  4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Gawd, I've not thought about Publisher since... Publisher '98, probably.

To the best of my knowledge LibreOffice doesn't have a dedicated DTP package. I've played around with Scribus in the past, which is the generally-recognised open-source desktop publishing package, but never tried loading or saving Publisher files in it.