1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Using Samsung 223BW Monitor For PC & PS3

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leebarros, 6 Jun 2009.

1. leebarros

leebarros What's a Dremel?

Hello everyone,

I am wanting to purchase a PS3 and use it alongside my computer. The monitor I have is the Samsung 223BW which has 1x DVI input and 1x VGA input which I dont intend to use.

I want to run the computer and PS3 on the same DVI port on the monitor, and I have made a sketch of how I think its going to work:

[​IMG]

The HDMI switch I had in mind is on eBay - Click Here
    Can someone please tell me if this plan will work?

Am I correct in saying that HDMI -> DVI cables work in both ways? (HDMI -> DVI or DVI - > HDMI) If so then this should be pretty cheap to setup :D

2. leebarros

I assume that due to the lack of replies means that I am correct? lol

:rock:

3. bagman

bagman Minimodder

or we don't have a clue :confused::wallbash:

4. leebarros

Well there is that as well lol

Im almost certain that this will work as both the PC and PS3 output digital signals, and the box does the job of sending either the PC through to the monitor or the PS3 through to the monitor...

:clap::wallbash:

5. bagman

bagman Minimodder

what you should do is just try out lots of different methods, only way you can learn by making mistakes

6. leebarros

I could do that but I want to make sure I have the correct method before going and buying the PS3...may as well buy the switch and cables, will only cost about £20 and even if it doesn't work, I will get use out of it somehow. :thumbsup:

7. leebarros

Anyone else had a read at the above problem and know if its going to work?:thumb:

8. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

shoot me if its a dumb question, but what are you doing for the PS3's audio?
    iirc DVI doesnt carry the audio component of the signal...
    have you got an S/PDIF surround sound kit to wire in?

9. Digitalize-

Digitalize- What's a Dremel?

why not use the VGA for PC?

10. KayDat

KayDat What's a Dremel?

You can set the PS3 to output via RCA. The Samsung 223BW doesn't have speakers anyway. Only issue might be HDCP, but it looks like the switcher supports it.

@Digitalize-
    No one would use VGA in this setup because the Samsung 223BW doesn't have VGA input. Personally, I wouldn't use VGA in any circumstance anyway, unless I don't have a choice, usually monitor limitations.

11. leebarros

I have bought a set of speakers that come with an audio cable for the PS3. I just need to find an audio switcher or a cable that sends the audio signal to 2 different locations simultaneously.

My Samsung 223BW does have a VGA port, Its analogue though and I hate having to press the "Auto" button every so often, DVI stays put :D:thumb:

12. Digitalize-

Digitalize- What's a Dremel?

I Find no difference in quality between VGA and DVI, i would use DVI unless there is a serious problem.

13. leebarros

I was just thinking there, is it possible to use the HDMI on the PS3 for Video and the composite for Audio or can the PS3 only output to 1 channel at a time? If so then how would I go about getting the Logitech X-540 speakers to work with the PS3?

Cheers:thumb:

14. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

ok i went through all this not so long ago

my ps3 connects to my samsung monitor through a dvi to hdmi cable, i run the audio from the RCA port to a 3.5mm jack (stereo rca to audio jack converter) which i then plug into the line in port on my pc. when i want sound on my ps3 i just unmute the channel.

in terms of a dvi switch box i did consider it, but decided i would just plug and unplug rather than spend more, it works fine and only takes a few seconds.

hope this helps, btw all these options are set up through the ps3's interface, which is very easy.

15. leebarros

I never thought of plugging it into the line in on my pc...Cheers for that one mate:thumb:

So you are using the HDMI for video output on the ps3 and the AV Multi Out for audio to the pc line in?

16. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

yup you got it!

the only caveat being that you need the pc on to get sound, which isnt a problem for me since my pc is ALWAYS on anyway.

the main advantage is that you dont have to invest in more speakers (i have great speakers for my pc and really wanted to use them). its a nice, elegant solution.

17. leebarros

My pc is ALWAYS on as well, may as well get use out of the machine that you spent your hard earned cash on.

I was reading around forums and it said that the PS3 can only output from one connection at a time which would render what you said impossible but since you said you have it working then I will take your word for it, surely a £300 console will be able to output on both connections :eyebrow:

:rock: Could you take a picture of your PS3 with all the cables going to the Monitor and PC by anychance just to see how it all looks? :thumb:

Cheers!

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i had my friend's PS3 set up as follows:
    PS3 HDMI -> monitor <- DVI PC (and monitor still have a port to spare, to be connected to laptop)
    with the sound connected to the 3.5mm line-out of the monitor to my speaker's secondary input.
    piece of cake.

in your case, just do:
    PS3 HDMI-to-DVI -> monitor <- VGA PC
    and output sound through the RCA port on the PS3, into line-in of PC and out to your speaker.

PS3 can output video and audio through different ports, just make sure you set it up in the settings page.

19. leebarros

Thank you for all your help! Much appreciated, just need to get the PS3 now and try it out :p

20. LT.BEECH

LT.BEECH Minimodder

the ps3 can out put from two sorces at once you have two options one for video output and one for audio output.