1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Using the iPhone as a sat nav

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 1 Sep 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

...So basically the software is good, but the GPS chip on the iPhone is god awful?

3. wuyanxu

wuyanxu still wants Homeworld 3

i plan to use my iPhone 2G as GPS when the TomTom car dock comes out. the way it "enhances" your GPS is by providing an alternative GPS chip, once pluged in, the phone's local services will use that instead of whatever the phone offers.

so in theory, it is possible to use ipod touch or iphone 2G with the dock. (or so i've read)

4. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Staff Super Moderator

Indeed. There are a few glimmers of hope though - the Maps application seems to work fine and most people who've tried Navigon's app say it's much smoother and rarely drops the connecttion. Plus Copilot claim their next patch will 'improve gps performance'. How that will work I have no idea though.

5. Combatus

Yes it will be possible as it has its own GPS receiver but it's probably going to cost as much as a dedicated TomTom unit...

6. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

So basically the thing has a GPS chip, and it works, except if you want to use it? How can this be, didn't Jobs' Mob test this at all?

I never jumped on the iBandwagon, so i guess i classify as a hater, but this all sounds very much like when the iPhone was first released and people were reporting it was fantastic, except when you wanted to use it as a phone.

7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Hmm.. I wonder if it's because of the windscreen on your vehicle - it's a known issue that heat-reflective windscreens bugger up a gps signal. What gps chip is used in the iPhone? Is it sirfstarIII? Does the gps download updates for itself? I'd assume so as you say it can get a quick fix. Does the TomTom mount use a sirfstarIII chip?

I also thought the TomTom software worked off a sort of predictive gps, e.g. if you were going through a tunnel, it would take a guess from the speed and direction and not lose it's signal, but lose it's signal, as such?

Last edited: 1 Sep 2009
  8. Combatus

It gets a quick fix using network triangulation while it waits for a GPS signal. For a single position fix or while walking it works fine but in the car it struggles to keep up.

Could be something to do with my car windscreen but my last PDA worked fine using its internal GPS - again it points to a weak receiver in the iPhone. AFAIK the iPhone uses a PMB 2525 Hammerhead II GPS chip. Not sure about the Tomtom mount yet as it's not been released.

It may have predictive GPS but when I've used it, the message comes up pretty quickly saying 'poor gps signal' and the map greys out and doesn't update.

9. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Navigon + iPhone + Jag S-Type = Win. :)

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=173274

Works flawlessly for me. Lane assist is great (helped a lot at the weekend on a trip to Brum and back via Spagetti Junction), and I love the way that it fades down the music currently playing from the iPod when it announces upcoming turns and lane changes.

Last edited: 1 Sep 2009
  10. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg New Member

Built in Nav is the only thing that'll work in my 406, two different standalone bluetooth devices and a tomtom failed to get a lock. Bloody French and there bloody metalic windscreen....

/wanders off muttering.

11. Sebbo

Sebbo New Member

have managed to use the Maps app itself while driving (rather, a passenger was being my navigator using the Maps app) and it's performance was very good, it kept up quite well and didn't lose the signal. i've yet to try one of the paid navigation apps though

12. jezmck

jezmck Well-Known Member

I use my Garmin SatNav in my Peugeot and very rarely have issues with the GPS signal, likewise with my BlackBerry.

13. MonkeyTurnip

MonkeyTurnip New Member

navigation on my HTC TOUCH pro 2 is smooth and accurate, easily getting GPS fix etc, you should have not moved away from HTC IMO.

14. SiG

SiG New Member

Having navigation/map options on ANY phone (or similar portable device) is always a godsend.

Interestingly though, it would appear it is illegal in Australia for you to take advantage of these aids while driving. This link (which may not be a fully reputable source) is about a man who was pulled over for using the iPhone as a sat nav.

15. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

ta for the review. Every time i go for a poo i like to buy new apps. a bad habit i suppose, and i`ve looked at the tomtom one for a while, they can poke it. 60quid is a ripoff if the iphone cant actually cope with it.

spider Cheesecake right now.

16. defender

defender New Member

17. Byron C

Byron C *psst!* This guy is a loser!

QFT.

I have an HTC Touch Diamond and Tom Tom works beautifully on it: GPS lock on is very quick (providing that the A-GPS data is up to date), the animation and scrolling is smooth, it will not freeze if driving through a tunnel, I can use live traffic services... It's like using a dedicated unit, but having the convenience of only having to carry my phone.

A friend of mine recently purchased Tom Tom for his iPhone 3G S and having seen it in operation, I'm very very glad that I've stuck to HTC for the time being. The biggest advantage in HTC phones is the community behind it - places such as www.xda-developers.com. There are many many tweaks and improvements that can be made to it, even if you don't want to flash the radio or OS ROMs (although I'd highly recommend doing so - it's fair to say that the BT audience are considered enthusiasts, and not afraid of rolling one's sleeves up ;)). With the iPhone, the only way to do this is to jailbreak the phone, and even then I doubt whether it's possible to completely reconfigure the OS in the same way as you can with Windows Mobile.

PS, this is not an anti-Apple rant. I prefer the flexibility and open-ness of Windows Mobile for the time being, but I am a fan of the iPhone. In fact, since I got my iPod touch, I'm starting to use my phone pretty much only as a WiFi router so I can get online with my iPod! Well, and for calls & messages, obviously... It does make me regret not getting an iPhone, but I'm still very eager to see Windows Mobile 7.

18. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

Why do Apple reIease a phone with a inferior GPS chip? Surely at such a pricetag, one would expect it to work out of the box and not rely on phone mast data?

I also want to endorse www.xdadevelopers.com as a good source for all Win Mo users.
    I too can't wait for Windows Mobile 7. Really want it for my Touch HD. Only problem is that I lack a inbuilt Chip, but have it working with a Holux external box, which also doubles as GPS on my laptop. :D

BLC <-- have you tried EnergyROM 3? made by NRGz228, it's how the OS really should be. Way more intuitive to use..

19. Byron C

Byron C *psst!* This guy is a loser!

I haven't tried any of the recent versions - I'm using GenY 2.10 at the moment. Lots of lovely free RAM with this one :).

20. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

As far as im concerned its the TomTom / CoPilot offerings that are inferior not the hardware itself. I've used the Navigon AG software up / down motorways, down country lanes and in the middle of cities and i've never lost gps reception. It can take a min to lock on but once its going it's pretty decent.

Tags: Add Tags