1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USS Reliant

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cowcharge, 8 Apr 2005.

1. Cowcharge

Cowcharge What's a Dremel?

Oops, I double posted, so this one's gone now :)

Last edited: 11 Apr 2005
  2. Springs

Springs Boing boing

one reason they are so big is that you have to fit all the hardware in.. also you have to make it so it looks correct in detail and size..

i liked all ST shows.. some more that others.. but making any sort of space ship is hard and big..

3. Cowcharge

This is what I'm after. Occasionally other people use my computer, so I'd like a "private" hard drive that I can turn on when I'm using it. I'd also like a bit more protection from hackers etc. when I'm online. I also do some writing and songwriting, and I'm a very private person (easier to hide my Farmgirls collection LOL). This way I can keep anything private on the second drive. Seems like a good way to limit access to private stuff.

[​IMG]

As for Defiant, I wasn't a big fan of DS9 (or Voyager, although it was a cool ship, Mrs. Columbo as Captain? No way!). I'm an original series and Next Gen man. On the ST2 dvd they mentioned that they designed the ship with the engines on the top, but when they sent the producer the plans, he signed them upside down, so that's the way they built it! I'm sorely tempted to put the engines on top the way they originally intended... Much prettier that way...

4. deadly-app

deadly-app What's a Dremel?

they do have ide key things that you can use to disable hard drive without an access code or something like that

5. acidfire

acidfire What's a Dremel?

Personally, I thought the Reliant had a funky look to it, and even tho I'm a fan of Star Trek, I loved the look of the reliant and the defiant, just simply different from the normal starfleet ships.

Back on topic, this project looks amazing. Have you considered fiberoptics for window lights? could add a funky detail to it.

6. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

All those "HDD" locks do is cut the power to the drive.
    Im not sure what would happen if you did this while the comp was on, i doubt windows would like it, but if you want the whole lock thing then:
    This , or This one
    With the second switch, you would have to insert the key to use the drive, and remove it to lock it.

Or if you want to have fun, then This is what you would like. A proximity detector. Wave the key fob by, and it pulses a relay to switch on the HDD

7. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

You do know that you can get hot-swap enclosures for SATA drives, right?

Even cooler, you could get a SATA drive and an External SATA controller (like a USB pci card, on SATA). Then custom make a Star-Trek 'Runabout' to house the external drive. :idea:

8. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Use the shuttle bay ;)

9. Cowcharge

The smallest window at this scale is 1/8, would make for some big fibers... I'm planning on using a single bulb for each section of hull. There are over 50 windows just in the saucer section, so I think bulbs are more practical... I'll use leds for the nav lights

10. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

incadescent bulbs, or LEDs? Light bulbs would produce more heat, and need more energy. perhaps some bright white LEDs would do the trick?

11. Cowcharge

I like that key fob method, thanks! I'd rather rely on a hidden switch than a key. Anyone who realized what the key was for could get in the other one. With either a hidden switch or the hidden proximity sensor, no one would even know the other drive existed.

12. themark

themark What's a Dremel?

I really like the work you've done so far, and think you've got a really original looking mod coming, but... it seems like a lot of fuss to hide a drive. I mean... who are you hiding it from? :worried:

Is your computer at that much risk sitting on your desk?

13. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

More importantley what are you hiding?

I thinks that mabye a moving part of the model (turn the naccelle, or something) could be a nifty hidden switch, but the key fob just = sweet, though i mnot sure 100% the logistics of it.

14. Cowcharge

No, not really at much risk (that I know of, but tracking/spyware/identity theft etc. concerns me, as well as just plain privacy). I just like hiding stuff LOL. If ever get to build my own house, I'll put a secret passage in it! I do like the idea of having a drive isolated from the Internet though. I don't know enough about hacking etc. to fully assess the risk to my computer, but the idea of having a "public" drive for Internet use with nothing personal or private on it while isolating my name, address (stuff that Word automatically puts in documents, business confirmation emails with personal info in them) from public access appeals to me. And since I already use that drive as a backup for downloaded drivers, important document storage etc. in case I lose my main drive or something, why not incorporate a little extra security?

15. deadly-app

deadly-app What's a Dremel?

I'm pretty sure you can't shield a single hard drive from the internet like that...

16. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

deadly-app: thats why he wants a switch to cut power to the drives.

17. Godboy_g

Godboy_g What's a Dremel?

Not to mention, a pain in the butt to replace if one burnt out. My vote would be to go with LEDs.

Also I like the shuttlecraft idea.

18. NoMercy

NoMercy What's a Dremel?

*looks at the picture* Ahh a Miranda Class Starsship, noted examples including the USS Reliant NCC-1864 (Destroyed), USS Brattain NCC21166 (Crew lost), USS Saratoga NCC-31911 (destroyed Wolf 359). The Saratoga has the benefit in the appearance sakes that it doesn't have that uguly bridge contraption over the top of the top, and includes two phaser cannons mounted either side of the saucer section http://www.stguardian.to/fed/miranda/mirandarefit2stff.jpg

Though I guess you'd have to be a complete geek to know that :)

19. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

I find it hard to believe that relic of a starship was serving at wolf 359. After all, the design was over a hundred years old. That would be like throwing an old wooden sailing ship (more than likely retrofitted a couple of times) against a modern destroyer...

I still think you should have a shuttle craft and a shuttle bay :D

Looking at the size of that thing, though, in order to keep things in proper scale the shuttles would still have to be pretty small. Thumbdrives anyone :thumb:

20. NoMercy

NoMercy What's a Dremel?