1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USSR - Ultraviolet Suspended Spherical Reservoir

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Captain Slug, 3 Aug 2005.

1. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

Well, this is actually an old project that was postponed for a little over 2 years. Way back when, DeVil_909 came to me a rough design concept, which I fleshed out practically in 3D.
    Well, for a handful of reasons the project was delayed. But it now has feet and is off and running. Although progress has been a tad slow due to my new part-time job and the fact that I'm trying to get used to a few new tools. I have far more experience with machining than I did when this project was first started. So in turn the design has become a little more advanced and feature rich. This change is also partly due to the expanse of time leading to me losing the original file for the first design.

Here's the new design
    [​IMG]
    External Dimensions: 16 x 16 x 13 inches
    3 5.25" drive bays
    3 3.5" drive bays
    removable motherboard tray
    hinged drive and power access panel
    rotatable and swappable reservoir and drive cage units allowing for multiple front panel configuration and case orientation options
    completely spherical reservoir

Log
    It took me a whole day to get the garage setup for working.
    [​IMG]
    I then placed a HUGE order through McMaster, which even though I only paid ground shipping on arrived the next morning. Shown here, next to the large pile of scrap plastic I bought a few days prior
    I then started cutting out the hollow square rod pieces for the frame.
    [​IMG]
    They were troublesome and I wasn't quite happy with the end result.
    [​IMG]
    Granted I wasted alot of time making them, but I decided to start over. The only upside of doing so is that I'm now more comfortable using my new tablesaw.

This time around I decided to build a framing jig to help glue the new solid square rod together at precise spacings and right angles with no room for errors. The first frame half is drying now, and once I get the second one done I can reconfigure the jig to start glueing the two remaining frame pieces.
    [​IMG]

And now I have something to work with! Most of the square pieces for the case itself have already been cut to size so most of what left is detail and drilling work which I will cover in detail in the next updates.

Last edited: 4 Aug 2005
  2. guy

guy What's a Dremel?

wow that thing is gonna be huge, not to mention from looking at the pics complex, good luck to ya, looks like it's awesome

3. Captain Slug

Well yeah, it's going to be kinda complex. The case is made out of 6 adjoining assemblies. The case frame itself, the radiator mount, reservoir rack, 5.25" rack, motherboard tray, and the PSU/HDD door.

The only part I will need to outsource work on is the reservoir itself since I don't have the 1/2" TNP tapping bit needed to make the threaded holes for the barbs and fill plug. So that work will need to be done by my friendly local machine shop. Other than that one task everything will be made in my garage.

4. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Where are you going to get a round plastic part to use as a res? I have had a hard time sourcing hollow acrylic spheres (for another project).

Cool idea, btw...

5. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

That gave me an idea :eek: I happen to have some copperpipe ;)

6. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Wow, that looks like a cool mod, but tbh I prefer the original desgin, I like the look of a suspended ball in the middle with tubes coming out of it.

Nevertheless I still like your new desigin, subscribed!

What are the colours? Aluminium?

7. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

Saw the picts, was like ok looks interesting, so yeah subscribed

8. HollowFrank

HollowFrank What's a Dremel?

Most definately going to come out an interesting looking machine, the designs are funky. Can't wait to see that resevoir.

9. quantum-modder

quantum-modder What's a Dremel?

love the name hope it looks as good as it sounds

10. Captain Slug

I finished the main frame pieces earlier today but I need to do some drilling and tapping of the main frame halves before I take pictures. Had to work a late shift unexpectedly so it will have to wait until tomorrow.
    $10.36 for 6-inch domes (they also have smaller sizes) http://www.kitkraft.biz/catalog/6_Clear_dome-p-2550.html
    Took me forever to find an affordable source. The only other shops I had seen were charging prices 3 times that.

Once the halves are drilled and tapped I'll adhere them together with JPS Weld-On #4 to get a water-tight seal.

1. The original design was much larger and still had some spacing issues. The new concept will be more user friendly and configurable. Both of which the customer is quite happy with.
    2. The color scheme (no big suprise here) is going to be Clear, Opaque Red, Opaque Black, all with a mixture of Red, UV, and white lighting.

Last edited: 4 Aug 2005
  11. Captain Slug

The main structural frame pieces are done!
    [​IMG]
    They affix together with 8 1-inch #6-32 screws and the frame will get progresssively more rigid as I add new assemblies. The radiator mount will come next since it's the most structural.

The pictures have been pretty crappy lately because someone decided to "borrow" the camera I was using in the shop for their vacation photos, but did so without asking.

12. Who_me_33

Who_me_33 What's a Dremel?

Nice, will be interesting to see how it turns out. Subscribed.

13. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

Always a pleasure to see your projects. Creativity is your middle name I believe.

14. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Totally agree, will be watching this one :thumb:

15. Captain Slug

Well, my middle initial does start with a C, but it's Christopher. Maybe I should change it ;)

16. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

You are my hero!! May the sun always shine on you and fortune follow wherever you go!! :D

17. Captain Slug

/me burns to a crisp :hehe:
    Anytime

18. Devil_909

Devil_909 What's a Dremel?

In case people were wondering what was going in this new case, here are some of the parts:
    Storm Block
    DD Maze 4 acetal top (GPU)
    Maze 4 chipset
    New D5 pump
    Seasonic s12 600w
    Delta 120mm x 38mm AFB1212SHE Fans (3x)

All of this is going on an AV8 third eye with 3200 winni with 6800 le. Reason for this is that I am going to be ordering a 7800gtx, AMD 64 x2, and Asus mobo. I just have not had the chance to do so yet as I am moving into a new home. I hope you all enjoy the case as much as I am.

19. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Looking like a great start, cap'n! *subscribes*

20. Captain Slug

I was flipped off my electric scooter over the weekend and cracked a rib. Since then I haven't been able to get enough sleep to be safe around power tools so this project is running even further behind schedule.

Life is ganging up on me lately.