1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USSR - Ultraviolet Suspended Spherical Reservoir

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Captain Slug, 3 Aug 2005.

1. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

Back in the saddle again.
    Now that Ruhe NMP is done (and before it's deadline) and I'm more comfortable with my tools I managed to get back to work on this project.
    I'm going to progress as I did with Ruhe in that I'll be starting on the parts I have actual templates for so that I can be sure things are accurate. I somehow managed to make the radiator enclosure/shroud in only 5 hours.
    [​IMG]
    Rather crappy pics, but the edges have been sanded down to make the whole unit rounded. The top piece bolts into place and the fans will attach using long #6-32 screws. A removable spacer will be added to give the fans a 1-inch gap between them and the radiator. I left the spacers as optional because if DeVil_909 later decides to use ridiculousy thick fans the 1-inch spacing would lead to a severely cramped arraingement in the front of the case.
    [​IMG]
    All I need to make to finish it are the fan spacers and mounting arms which I will take care of later. The next item on my agenda is the motherboard tray, since I have a dummy motherboard that I can use the get it started.

2. Captain Slug

And more progress today as I add the mounting pieces to the radiator enclosure,
    [​IMG]
    And the matching pieces on the frame itself.
    [​IMG]

I'll post some pictures of the radiator mounted to the frame after the solvent has cured for a few more hours.

3. mobius9

mobius9 Member

wow, nice looking radiator box. edges hand sanded? pretty impressive

4. Captain Slug

Installation testing. Fits perfectly and acts as the remaining structural part of the frame. With the addition of the radiator the whole frame becomes completely rigid.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I used a sanding wheel attached to my drillpress to sand off the excess.

5. Captain Slug

Second (and successful) motherboard tray attempt. All done with the help of the drillpress and scrollsaw.
    [​IMG]
    Works perfectly. The PCI card backplates fit like a glove and don't stick out below the tray. This was a concern because this is going to be a removable motherboard tray and I was worried that the backing plates were going to get in the way of the tray sliding in or out. Thankfully my initial measurements were correct and there's no issue. :D
    [​IMG]
    The back is exposed to allow easy access to waterblock/heatsink mounting hardware. The end user should have to remove the motherboard from the tray in order to mount any cooling options. And furthermore, once complete the case could be tipped on it's side and the base removed to gain access to the underside of the motherboard without having to undo any cables.
    [​IMG]
    "Measure twice, cut once" is in my experience ineffective. The best process for me seems to be:
    1. Measure twice
    2. Mark once
    3. Double check marks (and edit if needed and return to step #1)
    4. Cut once
    5. Confirm cut accuracy
    6. Revise/Finish cuts

Takes forever. But messing up and having to start over takes even longer.

Last edited: 8 Oct 2005
  6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

:~subscribed. Nothing else... ;)

7. IYIENACE

IYIENACE New Member

Gave you 5 stars - that's a lot of detailed, well thought out work that you're putting into this! Good luck.

8. Captain Slug

The backplane is mostly done. Once the solvent cures I'll just need to sand it a little bit then make the small mounting bracket pieces that will attach it to the motherboard tray.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see a standard I/O faceplate is used to leave motherboard options completely open.

9. gebrek

gebrek New Member

This looks amazing Captain, but does it mean you're putting Mk. 6 EMP on the back burner?

10. Captain Slug

For now, but Mk.6 really can't make any progress until I have a working version of the plug-bus. And that's something I'm stilling trying to find help on.

11. Captain Slug

UPDATE FROM 10-10-05
    No significant progress yet. I have some artwork to do before I can get back to working on the case.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

UPDATE FROM 10-19-05
    The motherboard tray is done.
    [​IMG]
    As are the slide pieces I added to the frame.
    [​IMG]
    NOW
    I'm kind of working on everything at the same time now. The reservoir is in the works now that the tapping bit arrived, I'm marking up the drive cages for drilling and cutting, and I'm double-checking measurements.

Oh, and I hurt myself again...
    [​IMG]

12. Captain Slug

The 5.25" drive cage is done. Was a real booger to make and I'm glad it's done.
    [​IMG]
    And here's where the case stands now. The motherboard tray is done and the back plate simply needs the 3.5" drive cage added to it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I had to stop for today after finishing the 5.25" cage because my arms aren't cooperating but I should be able to get some more done before Christmas.

13. Captain Slug

I forgot to bring my camera with me to the machine shop but I did get one of the three threaded discs made and Kyle milled the fill-port hole out of the top half of the reservoir for me. Tomorrow afternoon I'll be able to get the rest of the reservoir finished.

Last edited: 5 Jan 2006
  14. Captain Slug

Today I spent over 4 hours using the lathe to make the threaded fittings for the reservoir. Here's a breakdown of the process.

Step 1: Drill with the starting tapered bit
    Step 2: Advance to a slightly larger bit
    [​IMG]
    Step 3: Advance to an even larger bit
    [​IMG]
    Step 4: Advance to a ridiculously large bit
    [​IMG]
    Step 5: Cut out 3 discs using the Bandsaw
    Step 6: Get mad at yourself after discovering that the smallish discs you cut won't stay in any of the vices in the shop.
    Step 7: Use the Lathe as a vice for tapping the discs.
    [​IMG]
    You now have three unfinished (but threaded discs)
    [​IMG]
    Step 8: Use the Lathe with a cutting tool to turn the edges of the discs to a flat surface. Then add the bevels to the edges to provide more surface area for the solvent.
    [​IMG]
    Done!
    [​IMG]

The fill-port hole was done easily with the mill but the other holes were impossible to do correctly with the mill because our angle-vise setup wouldn't work properly. After some head-scratching I tried a step drill bit with the drillpress and it worked wonderfully. The shop doesn't have a step bit that goes large enough to make the holes the right size so I need to go buy another one tomorrow.

And that's all for today.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 9 Jan 2006
  15. Captain Slug

Home Depot didn't have any larger step bits so instead I purchased some grinding cones and got the reservoir holes sanded to the right size. After that was done I started adhering the pieces together.
    [​IMG]
    I haven't adhered the halves together yet. I'll do that after the solvent cures and I can leak-test each half.

And I need a better camera. The decent one keeps getting highjacked.

16. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Woah, looking pretty sweet there. I bet that looks insane when you get finished.

17. Captain Slug

:miffed: Home Depot is retarded.
    I ordered a reconditioned portable worksite tablesaw from them because I need one that I can wheel to and from the garage. They sent me an assembled one that was thrown into a refridgerator box with ALL OF THE PARTS LOOSE IN THE BOX. Everything survived the trip except for the box itself and the tablesaw base which was cracked all the way around it's cases and is now completely sereprated from the worksurface.
    :wallbash:

I have to wait for UPS to show up again to take the box away. if they don't issue a refund I'll simply dispute the charges because this is completely absurd.
    I'm probably just going to go to Sear's and buy one off the shelf at this point.

Last edited: 19 Jan 2006
  18. Captain Slug

The two halves were fun to fuse together. I had to make small applications of solvent around the outside then dribble solvent onto the seam from the inside using a syringe while rolling the reservoir around. This allowed the solvent to creap itself way into the seam to make an even seal.
    [​IMG]
    After that I finished leak testing. NO LEAKS AT ALL. If you want to make a water-tight tank out of acrylic IPS Weld-on makes the process a piece of cake. I didn't have to use any silicon sealant on this unit.
    Teflon tape WILL have to be used on the barbs and the fill cap but the rest of the reservoir is solidly fused.

19. gebrek

gebrek New Member

You know, if I had patience and skill, I bet I could make a case at least half as creative and cool as this one...

20. Liquid

Liquid New Member

that´s sweet :rock: