1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UTMod 7-14-04 Final Pics.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Sheldog23, 16 Jan 2004.

1. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

that keyboard and mouse job is badass.

2. Skaal-tel

Skaal-tel What's a Dremel?

BEAUTIFUL keyboard and mouse! I'm not a huge fan of ut, but the plexi curving and the vinyls draw my eye regardless. So- you can basically print your own vinyls and such? so, for your keyboard, to do the keys, have you got multiple little stickers for each key? to create that ut logo?

and for the mouse... how did you manage that without getting wrinkles over the curve?

very nice work.

3. Sheldog23

Sheldog23 What's a Dremel?

Actually I cut on big piece and stuck it on they keys. Then I used the good old heat gun to melt it down good to they keys. I let it cool a while and took a really sharp exacto and cut away the excess. Takes more patience than skill.

For the mouse I used my experience with doing vehicle wraps. (Those cars you see with scenes on the side). Using a similar method you lay vinyl on just the middle or highest part of the mouse and heat up a corner at a time. This makes the vinyle more flexible and forgiving. Allowing you to slowly apply it without wrinkles. This one actually takes a lot of skill because it wants to stick to everything and you are only wanting to do about 1/4" at a time because of the steep curve. It helps knowing you can make more so you don't "panic" when things get stuck and goof it up.

4. Sheldog23

Well, folks the end is near. The final pieces arrive late this week. My new 17" LCD with 16ms response time and my custom made mousepad from www.koolpcmods.com . That will be the final pieces for this mod and I will call it complete and on to the next one. Which I am in the middle of allready....I know, I know, about time.

I will include a whole enchalada glamour shot which will convienently be placed on my new website. www.austinpcmods.com:D

5. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

Excellent, excellent display of skill and vision! I'll make a deal with you... you keep doing computer mods as an outlet for that artist in you, and I promise not to drive down there and kick your butt for stopping! :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

Totally kidding!

Keep up the skills, we all learn from the others, and you, my dear modder bud, have MAD skills for plexi and RTA vinyl! Awesome! I was thinking about hitting up a contact I had here in Dallas that runs a FastSigns, and seeing what their prices were on Lexan/Plexi/et all. FastSigns have access to good quality plexi/lexan or colored UV reactive translucent sheets?

6. Sheldog23

I am loving all the Texas modders on this site! Texas=:rock: Hope to see you all at Quakecon

Sure do. They probably will just get it from a plastic supply in Dallas though. Check out Regal or Reece supply. That way you won't have to go through someone and pay twice.

7. Tech-Daddy

So, you made it into the BYOC? You going to be there?

I know for a fact I will be there, but not as a player. Just a spec. Would love to hook up!

The Gaylord is about 30 minutes from my house.

I'm going to start priming my wifey to let me stay awhile out there and oogle at all of the goodies!

8. Sheldog23

Nah, I didn't get in. But I am on the wait list. I want to go just to check it out though. Just to see what's going on. Have to soften my wife to the Idea as well. PM me when I gets closer to event time.

9. Providence

Providence What's a Dremel?

Sheldog, you're going to get into the BYOC...don't worry. I staffed QuakeCon last year and the lines were long, but at the end of it all, everyone who was waitlisted got in. An unbelieveable number of people didn't show up at all, so you don't have to worry about it.

10. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

I was number 93 on the waiting list and i am in. My bro was 111 and he is in. So yeah I wouldnt sweat it, you will def get in.

JEEVES

11. Tech-Daddy

As the date gets nearer, please let me know where y'all will be, would love to stop by and appreciate the rigs, chat, maybe grab a bite to eat?

Back on topic, My wife used to work for FastSigns, and it never occured to me that I could source my plexi or Lex from their suppliers!

:duh:

Oh well, live and learn!
    Thanks for the wakeup call!

12. Sheldog23

Sounds like a good plan. I should know more about what I am doing then.

And now for and update:

Well I thought this was going to be the final update but it seems my mousepad didn't come in. So when that comes in (homefully monday) I will give an update sometime after that. oh and sorry about the poor image quality, I think my digital is dying.

Here is what I basically did. I got rid of my old crappily stealthed cd-rw and got the artec clear acrylic dvd-rom. I cut a window in the top so that one of the 3 new LED strips could shine through the face. It also has a blue LED incicater light that blinks blue when reading. Here is a pic.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I also skinned my keyboard and got a LCD screen. here is a Setup shot and a closeup of the keyboard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well, that's it for now. Enjoy:D

13. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Gorgeous :D Awesome work with the whole project... It looks sexy! :thumb:

14. tmod

tmod What's a Dremel?

Great mod! :thumb:

What kind of white LED fan are you using? Coolermaster? (It looks great!)

15. Xeno

Xeno What's a Dremel?

Awesoem case! Sweeeeeeeet! :D I really like it, the keyboard is bad ass. :thumb:

~Xeno~

16. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

looks awesome man :thumb: can't wait to see the mouse pad. Keep it up :clap:

17. Sheldog23

I can't remember:duh:. I got them at Fry's electronics. That was the only place I could find white. I just remember them in a black case with "neon" written on it in the color of the LED's. They might have them at outpost.com.

18. fuzzygoblin

fuzzygoblin What's a Dremel?

Not a fan of UT or anygames really but i love your work, the case is certainly original and the keyboard and mouse look stunning all thats left now is to vynil wrap the monitor.

* :sigh: *Wishes modding was as big in Australia/Tasmania as it is in america* :sigh: *

19. Sheldog23

Thanks. I probably won't vinyl wrap the monitor though. I think I am going to build and acrylic case thing for it. I haven't got it worked out quite yet though. I might just wrap it for the mean time just for fun.

As for modding in Tasmania. You could always be the Trendsetter :hip: . It's not really as poplular as it seems here. Just with Geeks. But we still make a small percentage of the population. When I tell people what I do for fun they think I am joking.

20. fuzzygoblin

fuzzygoblin What's a Dremel?

yeah i jsut thought it would make a complete set, cant wait to see the arcrylic case.

as for being a trend started im trying, i made my first real mod (briecase pc) a few months ago and one or two of my friends are getting involved.