1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding UV Drawing Pens?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by arrowswake, 3 Aug 2004.

1. arrowswake

arrowswake New Member

There was a mod done on metku.net, where pens that glowed under UV light were used to trace wires and such on video cards, etc. I figured that this was the best place to ask about it though, since people are more knowledgable here...

Link to the mod

I recently bought a pack of Pentel Sunburst Gel pens (Which on the metku forums have been verified to work), to do this mod, yet I was finding the ink to not flow as well as I'd like it to. I had to trace over each line multiple times to get it to be a solid line. Raiding my sister's room with a blacklight in hand, I found that Papermate Liquid Expresso pens glow beautifully, and they write really well, too. The problem is, they have felt tips. Quoted directly from the Papermate website, "Acid-Free, water-based ink for use in scrapbooking and crafts".

Do I want water-based ink? Will this hurt anything ony my circuit boards? On the Pentel website, for the Sunburst Gel pens, it says that the ink is "waterproof, gel-based ink". This seems like almost the opposite of the felt tips.

I'd really like to use some of these, since it would make it much easier, and there are more colors that glow more brightly, but is it safe to? "Water-based" means it's got water in it, and I was always told that water (outside of a water-cooling setup) was the LAST thing i wanted near my computer, let alone inside it...

2. SanDmaN

SanDmaN Member

I wouldn't like to use a water-based pen on my pc components. I went up my local shop and bought some neon gel pens [some crappy £1 for 6 jobbies] and they work a treat, they glow like anything under black light.

3. Zidane

Zidane New Member

it shouldnt actually matter......

i have two uv pens, one was a free one (go to the police station, and enquire about postcoding your pc, they usually have a stack of freebie uv pens, they like to give them to people), and the other one was just one i found glowed whilst i was playing with my blacklight.

the police pen is solvent based, and damned near permanent, the other is water based, and will wash off. both have performed very well indeed on test peices (a graphics and network card in an old p75). as long as you leave the ink to dry completely, i left mine for 24 hours to dry off completely, and they were both fine.

a water based and solvent based ink is based on water or a solvent, the water or solvent is the carrier that holds the ink colours, when you draw it onto something it gets out of the sealed body of the pen, and the solvent (water is a solvent too) slowly evaporates off leaving the ink adhered to the surface. as long as you leave plenty of drying time, you shouldnt have any trouble.

i should warn you though, ive only tried it on these two pens i have here, i would *strongly* suggest you try it out on something non-valuable first, i used an old ISA graphics and network card in a p75, and they worked fine, then i painted my network card for my main rig.

as with all things, if your not sure, try it and see, just make sure you try iton something that you dont mind losing, just in case.and as with all liquids near a pc, or anything else electrical, leave excessive amounts of drying time. i left the pen lines 24 hours to dry out, and they dry in seconds.

a final word of caution..... be carefull drawing on the circuit board. a weird side-effect i noticed, the circuit board has two surfaces, the copper and the board itself, the board itself seemed to have mainly green bits, but around the traces and whatnot it was a smokey grey colour, i found the grey bits absorbed the ink rather well. it actually looked pretty cool, i scribbled over the traces, then wiped off the ink quickly, leaving the traces blank, but the smokey grey bits either side to be coloured, kinda like outlining the traces. oh, and if your colouring in large areas, and it works, tell me how. i coloured in the tops of some chips, but the effect was rather wishy-washy. it was fine on the traces and lines, just not for the block areas.

4. FM | Korova^

FM | Korova^ New Member

ummmmmm.......

ummmmmmmm....... Water is a solvent. But good advice all the same. :thumb:

5. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

good excuse....

6. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

A policeman gave me one of these pens, and I found a good use for them, I coloured the edges of all my components and stuff, bought a cheapy UV light off ebay and there u are, a now glow of the edges. However I think they wear off over time. :waah:

7. chrono

chrono New Member

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I picked up some glow paints in Spencers gifts... tried painting fan grills but it didn't really stick that well and I'm over my UV thing now.

9. Goblin Tinkerer

Goblin Tinkerer New Member

I got some vantec uv fans that didnt turn out to well.

10. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Excellent tip about the free pens courtesy of the police, I'll have to try that sometime.

Also, 1337modderman, very funny! :hehe: