1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Vacuum Tube Sound for Soundcard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by warchild, 13 May 2006.

1. warchild

warchild What's a Dremel?

Does anybody knows the Musketeer 3 from Cooler Master ?

[​IMG]

2. Comrade Penguin

Comrade Penguin What's a Dremel?

From what I've read of it, its a bit of an odd product. Technically its an amp but it doesn't really amplify, rather it runs the siginal from your sound card through the tube, in theory giving it warmth and positive disortion. From what I've read it has very little effect but does have issues of making noise because it isn't grounded. Does look very pretty though.

3. dom_

dom_ --->

KEEP IT AWAY!!!!!

I heard it briefly and hated it. I much prefer a decent soundcard to a decent pre amp. Why add another component.
    I like to keep it simple. If i didn't use my PC for games or TV i wouldn't need a pre amp as i would have a one source only system. Keep it simple.

Edit: in reply to above, its called a valve buffer stage

4. MaximumShow

MaximumShow Minimodder

A good rule of thumb is to stay away from any audio gear that illuminates the valve from behind.

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Yeah, but...look at it!

If I had lots of money to throw away I'd be tempted to get one and stick it in my PC just because they look so cool(not to use).

What soundcard(s) are you currently reccomending for the PC dom, since you are undoubtedly the most knowledgable audio dude on the board?

(also, happy birthday the other day warchild :))

6. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Aye it looks cool, and it's only $50! :p :lol:

7. dom_

dom_ --->

Good cheap audio soundcard i would say an e-mu 0404

Make your own breakout cable, and if you feel brave swap capacitors etc for better components.
    But an 0404 stock with asio on is a pretty good card.

8. warchild

I love tubes.

Tanx specofdust. :thumb:

Last year marked the 100th anniversary of John Ambrose Fleming's inventing of the first practical diode vacuum tube, or valve, as he called it. By 1970, the tube was nearly extinct, replaced by the transistor, and pretty much the only uses for it were guitar amplifiers, audiophile sound equipmente, recording studio equipment, and military electronic equipmente built in the USSR and mainland China. The last American made tube was built in the late 70's, and from that time on, the only sources were NOS (New Old Stock), China, and Soviet bloc countries.
    Vaccum tubes are still a nich business, but is fairly big and growing all the time. The most popular tube, the 12AX7, sells well over 2 million units annualy. :jawdrop:
    Many people consider digitally formatted music as "harsh" compared to analog circuits of days past. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't.
    I don't really expect anyone besides guitar players, audiophiles, and recording engineers to really get the point of this gadget, and not all of them even. To over simplify things, when an audio signal is sent through a vaccum tube, it receives an amount of harmonic distortion that people find pleasing to the ear. Many people feel that this phenomenon cannot be successfully recreated with solid state or digital devices. Of course, there are many other people that disagree. :rolleyes:
    I play guitar, and presently own three guitar amps that have tubes in them. One is new, and the other two were built in the early 1970's. I would not trade any of them for a solid state or digital amplifier of any value. :p
    Coolermaster wasn't the first to come up with the idea of putting a tube in a PC. AOpen came out with a motherboard with a tube mounted on it a few years ago. I can think of any number of reasons that it is a bad idea to mount it there, but I have to give them credit, it was a bold idea. :thumb:
    But, with the Musketeer 3, Cooler Master has created a brilliant gadget. Hey dom, to be totaly honest with you, I wouldn't care if it didn't change the sound at all. I love it just for the coolness value. :naughty:

For those who really don't even know what a vacuum tube is, here is a fair definition.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 14 May 2006
  9. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Could the signal be split two use two Musketeer 3 s?
    I been asked if had valve myself but i dumed them 5 years ago (yes iknow im a stupid fool) but a bloke neer my dad is after a valve kit for a hifiamp

10. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

There are several circuits for DIY valve buffers floating around Gainclone circles, one place to start. :idea:

11. warchild

If you like the Musketeer 3 try to find the Musical Fidelity X10-D. :thumb:
    Musical Fidelity is not making the X10-D any more, maybe on e-bay...
    It has not one but two Ecc88 valves and it really upgrades the overall sound of whatever soundcard you have. :)

[​IMG]