Vadim Cepheus Q80 gaming machine

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 9 Feb 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S Well-Known Member

2. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Not impressed with that case in the slightest but that could be down to my tastes. I would have expected better performance for that much money.

3. Fozzy

Fozzy New Member

I can't actually find out how much it costs. But I know the graphics crads would be about $1600 with a $1000 processor and $400 in ram put inside a $300 case with a $600 watercooling system..... So damn I'm not sure i really do wanna know how much they charge

4. Bindibadgi

Bindibadgi Tired. Forever tired.

In 2D is pwns, but in 3D you're waiting on drivers if you select Vista to be preinstalled. Personally I think the Lian is a gorgeous case, although there are several options on the Vadim site to choose from.

Last edited: 9 Feb 2007
  5. Tim S

Tim S Well-Known Member

The let down in performance is down to the OS specified by the customer and, of course, Nvidia's Vista drivers. With Windows XP (and an optional upgrade to Vista when driver support matures), this thing goes like the stink.

It's around £5,100 as far as I'm aware.

6. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

AHA I knew I'd missed something because I just couldn't see why it was under performing. As for the looks, you hit on the head there bindi, it really is a personaly thing.

Very much looking forward to stable and efficient vista drivers from NVIDIA. Of course, ATi are gonna get it right first time ;)

7. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

Thats how i want the insides of my Lian Li v2000 to look like :hehe:
    Thanks for the amazing review :thumb:

8. Hazardous

Hazardous New Member

Tut tut Fozzy! You obviously never read right to the end of the review/article...

9. Mankz

Mankz 5318008

If someone were to give me £5,000 i'm sure i could do better.

(or do the same for far less)

10. Darkedge

Darkedge New Member

for £5000 i'd like something a bit neater than glue from a glue gun around the side window and grill. That looks cheap and nasty as hell. Yes it's inside but still poor considering the cost.

11. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

I'm not sure that's value for money, last time I checked, Vadim charges a huge premium for customising and overclocking... personally I rather build a PC myself.

12. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

People say this every. damn. time. If you buy a prebuilt PC, you're buying it for the support and lack of hassle. OK you might be able to build one cheaper, I'm sure most people could, but you're completely on your own when it comes to stuff breaking.

13. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

:wallbash: It's just not comparable to the sort of thing we do. This is something you order and can have arrive at your doorstep in a couple of weeks.

Fair point but once you see the thing in the flesh you won't give it a second thought - it truely is awe inspiring. Anyway, who hasn't used a blob of glue gun glue to tuck a little circuit board, or some such thing, into a hidden corner of their mod.

14. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

That's a very impressive system. I'd say it's well worth the extra expense.

One quick note: The Lian-li V-series cases are not BTX. BTX is a totally different form factor, not just ATX upside-down.

And, hot glue is your friend. It's perfect for sticking headers and plugs to the motherboard, if you've got a system that gets moved around a lot.

15. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering New Member

I used to work at the same company as Vadim (around 8 years ago I guess) and I remember him going off to make his own computers. Gotta give him credit; the man done good.

I'm not a fan of the hot glue work either, but I'm not sure there's a cost effective alternative for machines that get put together in a couple of weeks. Suggestions on a postcard...

Last edited: 9 Feb 2007
  16. randosome

randosome Banned

wow they only charge £1k premium for that system, IMO thats pretty impressive, for the lack of hassle, all the work that goes into organising it and such, damn good deal IMO

I dont like the styling either, but i assume they have choices or somthing

BTW did somone send u their PC for review ? like to get a discount or somthing ? and who was it :p (if u know)

17. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus Rule #9

Would have been interesting to see what this could have done while running XP

18. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

If I was mad enough to spend that kind of money on a pre-built PC I would make my way over to Voodoo PC's. For the same money I can get a better case, cleaner interior, equal or better performance and the same personal service for £1000+ less, but that again is a matter of taste as Bindi said.

The hot glue, and horrible wiring of the front led instantly make me sick when you need to drop £5000 for this.

The kind of person buying this will probably have never put together a water cooled PC, otherwise they would know how much cheaper you can do it for.

The tube routing is nice, however the thing is so jam packed that for someone not so familiar with water cooling it's going to be a nightmare changing a piece of hardware (although given the spec it may be some time before thats necessary). With the tubing looking like its been measured to the mm, I would hate to drain and refill the coolant when necessary due to the position and type of res they have used.

Its all a matter of personal taste but I cannot see how they can possibly justify the price tag. For that money you could probably personally build a killer Core 2 Duo (Promethia Cooled) and SLI setup cooled by EK or DD blocks.

19. Wolfwood

Wolfwood New Member

I dont understand, 700 quids worth of watercooling, and the cpu temp hits 57c on boot?

20. sl1xx

sl1xx New Member

looks so nice must be loud as hell tho !

Tags: Add Tags