1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Valkyrie

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Pazu, 29 Apr 2011.

1. Korvus

Korvus May contain traces of sanity.

Very nice, curious to see how this will go, especially with the 3d printed parts. Will be keeping an eye on this :D

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Lovely modeling. The resolution of the print is pretty amazing too. I don't want to know how much their machine cost.

3. lobster_johnson

lobster_johnson Fear the Claw of Justice!

I love SFF builds! Can't wait to see how you attach everything inside the case.

4. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

Actually 3D printing now-a-days is relatively cheap. Search around online and their are plenty of DIY resources for people who build machines various 3D printing processes.

Of course, just like any other CNC process, there are exceptions to the rules but for the most part its not as mind blowing as most people might think. The speed of production is a big part of what costs you, again... just like any CNC process.

Or at least... this is what I was taught while getting my BS in ME :p

5. Pazu

Pazu What's a Dremel?

I did conduct some research on this. I don't think grounding is much of an issue. Shielding, I'll admit I'm a bit concern about this but I doubt it's an issue. After all, we have many cases with wide open windows.

Ya I put in extra support at place where rigidity might be an issue, I guess I'll find out how tough/flimsy this thing is soon enough. :p

Thanks!:thumb:

Actually sixfootsideburns is partially correct. It has gotten a lot cheaper now. Personally, I think it's more forward moving than traditional manufacturing methods. FWIW, it almost like a mini revolution brewing in terms of manufacturing with direct 3D printing.

6. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

This is going to be awesome bro!!! Cant wait to see this finished! :)

7. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Loving the design and you've already shown you can pull it off with excellent quality.

I'll just get some pop corn and sit back for the next update!

8. Pazu

Pazu What's a Dremel?

Thanks bro!

Haha, then this post couldn't be more appropriate. After a short trip to Sim Lim Square...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sadly, my laser cut parts are only ready on Wed and some other 3D parts only next week too. So until then, please keep the feedback coming!

Can't wait to play Brink on this!

Last edited: 7 May 2011
  9. GuyInTulsa

GuyInTulsa Dremel Molester

Wow - I love every aspect of this build.

10. jnco_analog

jnco_analog What's a Dremel?

If someone's intersted in researching a little more about the "mini revolution" of 3D printing, a recent edition of The Economist has a nice article about the subject:
    "Three-dimensional printing from digital designs will transform manufacturing and allow more people to start making things"

Sorry for the thread hijack Pazu, congrats for the amazing project :jawdrop:
    I'm following :clap:

11. Pazu

Pazu What's a Dremel?

Thanks! :)

Hey, no problem. There's various news about home 3D printing here that I'm sure the people here would love to know about.

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Nice one for posting this Pazu, I had not even heard of 3d printing until I read what jnco_analog posted in that link, sounds quite magical to be honest :D, I love how it only uses whatever material is needed so no waste.

But :naughty: How much does it cost to have this made? is it more expensive than cnc milling or water cutting or laser cutting services, I expect 3d printing is a designers awesome dream come true but it must cost a fortune to buy a 3d printer :worried:.

Anyway subbed, I want to see how this interesting design & amazing 3d printing turns out, the corner supports look crazy good :thumb:.

13. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

Costing is highly dependent on the part and what kind of 3D printing process you want used. You can make parts with a 3D printed process that physically cannot exist in any other manufacturing process so in some cases its the only option.

Good choice on the Frozr Pazu! I think thats I'm going to use for my next build :p

14. Pazu

Pazu What's a Dremel?

More parts arrived!

[​IMG]

Test fitting some of the parts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's going to be down to the wire for this... :( Wish I had started off fabrication earlier.

15. Dragonphreak

Dragonphreak Minimodder

Was the backplate made by shapeways? What material was used? and do you mind letting me see a copy of the model you used for the graphics card plate?

16. Pazu

Pazu What's a Dremel?

Like what sixfootsideburns said, a lot depends on what kind of process you choose. Have a look at the Shapeways site, they have all pricing info there. :) IMO, all these is only possible because of Shapeways' down-to-earth pricing. I'm not getting sponsored by them or anything but I've done 3D printing/prototyping elsewhere before and the cost is 20x higher and quality 10x worse.

Thanks! Actually I feel a little bit bad that I'm using factory overclocked stuff but I like the cooler MSI has done and since this is primarily an air cooled case, it's going to help.

Which back plate? I'm using WSF/BSF from Shapeways...

Waynio likes this.
  17. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Nicely measured there Pazu. The parts fit perfectly :thumb:

I'm really start diggin this way of manufacturing the parts.

18. Dragonphreak

Dragonphreak Minimodder

This section, more specifically the 2 slots for a graphics card. If you have a sketchup model I could borrow/steal measurements from, I would greatly appreciate it.

[​IMG]

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Interesting stuff, it looks great for ridiculasly difficult things to be made & it's cool how you can get things rolling just like buying something online, well if your good at design :D, I was kinda getting my hopes up for aluminium things but it says on the disclaimer it isn't strong & more for decorative stuff but the white plastic stuff is meant to be the strongest of what they do & it looks reasonably priced so is great for small items of pure innovation, the giant rubiks cube looked mad :D but it looked like it functioned really awkward, but then again I guess it would with all those little squares.

Really is quite weird though printing objects lol :D, coolest new thing I've heard of :).

Extremely well designed mod though Pazu, looks like it all fits like a glove +rep :).

20. Sky_wolf

Sky_wolf What's a Dremel?

If you are up for charing you model i am interested:dremel: to