1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve employee handbook released

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 23 Apr 2012.

1. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Sounds like they've been spending the money they're making from Steam very well indeed!

2. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

When the place is organised so that people work on what they want to, it's no surprise that something gets left behind. In this case, HL3?

3. K404

K404 It IS cold and it IS fast

Oh noes! Employees encouraged/ expected to take responsibility for their actions!

In a previous job, if I wanted to get out of trouble, I just admitted and described what i'd done wrong. Management couldn't handle that.

4. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

out of carrot and stick - carrot looks more tasty. interesting. this way of doing business is epic but there isn't much room for companies that do business like this in a capitalist society. shareholders want profit, not for you to wash your laundry at work, while getting a rub down and eating fruit.

5. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

At least there's no caviar :lol:

6. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

They should send this handbook to foxconn. Actually, better not. Might cause more suicides.

7. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Damnit - and I just got back to thinking today that my job is all right. Now I want to work for Valve. Unlike most of you lot, they're only about 15 miles away from me, too :/

8. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

That's why it's better not to have shareholders ;)

9. ppinc2

ppinc2 What's a Dremel?

great company, where I can apply?

10. Riffler

Riffler What's a Dremel?

Most employees spend at least half their time on office politics. If Valve can manage to eliminate that then they can afford to screw around getting massages and playng darts.

11. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

And that is exactly why Valve will never go public..

12. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I hope valve employees are reading these comments and finally pop their fingers out and start working on the next half life !

13. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

If this was your company, would you want to go public?
    Work that is not really work, fun, money, giving fun and money to others (employees). Why sell out? i dont get the big desire to sell out, and ride the corporate wave of greed.

14. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

I want HL3 as much as the next man. I do. But i can wait. Hell i would be ok if it never came out. Why? Well they gave us HL / HL2 / TF2 / Portal / Portal 2 / CS 1.6 / CS:S [these are just the games i have from them that i like and rate as 5*] HL3 has sooooo much hype that it might end up being anti climactic. They never made a third series of Fawlty Towers despite the demand. I just want valve to keep doing what they are doing hopefully it will be HL3 if its something else, i'm ok with that.

15. Voyen

Voyen What's a Dremel?

Fair enough they work on whatever they want, but you'd think they'd still listen to what people want and even if they take 15 years to do it, they could at least give us some form of progress report. You know. Just let us know that HL3 is at least started. You can't just end HL2Ep2 the way it did and not even let us know if a sequel is in progress. It's so painful!

16. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Sounds awesome, I wish I was good enough to work there :)

What I especially like is they say the structure is like that, because why would they hire these people to do jobs if they didnt let them do their jobs! Hire a programmer as they are awesome and raise them to management and they dont get to code, which is why you hired them - let everybody co manage and do what they do best, and you have an entire team doing what they do best :)

And to ALL OF YOU complaining about half-life 3 being "late"... ITS DONE WHEN ITS DONE. You would complain if they rushed it and it sucked, so let them get it right in their own time :) Three companies I know of have this philosophy: Blizzard, Valve and Popcap - notice anything about their games? All very good (though I havent played all popcap games! :)).

Tags: Add Tags