1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve has 70 percent of digi distribution market

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Nov 2009.

1. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Are you sure you're not getting Stardock confused with Starforce there?

2. Mcmonopoly

Mcmonopoly What now?!

I tallied up my video game (PC) buying habits for the last 8-9 years and the results speak for themselves:

+/- 52 games bought in total over 9 years
    19 are from brick and mortar retail and the other 33 are from Steam.

I registered with Steam when they released HL2 in 2004, so in roughly the same amount of time (+/- 4.5 years) I bought twice as many digital games than retail ones.

What does it for me is the weekly sales, sometimes it's just a steal.!!

3. Psy-UK

Psy-UK New Member

A game with Steamworks doesn't necessarily have to be bought of Steam. Case in point; MW2.

4. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

tbh i dont want 3-4 digital download packages running on my computer and because i only want 1 i'm going with the largest steam

5. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

See this just adds to my bullsheep meter, I reckon Brad was way off in his press release, he's suggesting 1 in 10 buy digital from his company ... more like 1 in 100.

6. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

January 13th 2008.

Although you might say my point is invalid because I'm such a late bloomer :worried:

7. SBS

SBS New Member

Steamworks /= Steam. God love uninformed comment :p

Stardock are simply building up the case for Steamworks to opened up, an inevitable move being endlessly delayed (presumably) for the obvious business reasons. When it eventually happens, Steam's insane pricing for certain titles will be curtailed for fear of losing market share - how any of you can have a problem with this is beyond me?

Much as Impulse is a crock of ****, the one man PR machine giving Valve another little nudge won't hurt.

8. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I have impulse and steam and well frankly impulse sucks in comparison.

9. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla New Member

Steam is da shyt!

10. Thedarkrage

Thedarkrage Thats not a pic of me its my gf

You have to realize that steam not in control of publishers and there the ones who set the prices Steam is a online store that publishers have direct control over what it wants to do with its pricing it just pays valve a fee. Steam works is there multiplayer systems and integration for the online steam community and they give this to publishers FREE

Whats wrong with that

11. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

12. Orothe

Orothe New Member

Ok.. Why is "Monopoly" always viewed as a bad thing? Power Corrupts, but there's also an exception to every rule. What if there was one company that was nice and fare? That just wanted to stay in business and pay off it's workers, as well as help the community? That'd be bad?

Valve seems to want to make a profit, but isn't gouging anybody. There's no hidden fee's, T&C's, fine print. So far, they have power, and they're being fair and honest. They're growing and not showing any difference in morale values. As far as I'm concerned, they'll eventually control the digital distribution market and do exactly what they're doing now.

If you think them being a monopoly is a bad thing, then don't use it. You obviously have no faith in them. -.-

13. Orothe

Orothe New Member

14. Orothe

Orothe New Member

Ok.. Why is "Monopoly" always viewed as a bad thing? Power Corrupts, but there's also an exception to every rule. What if there was one company that was nice and fair? That they just wanted to stay in business and pay off it's workers, as well as help the community? That would be bad?

Valve seems to want to make a profit, but isn't gouging anybody. There's no hidden fee's, wordy T&C's, fine print, ect. So far, they have power, and they're being fair and honest. They're growing and not showing any difference in morale values. As far as I'm concerned, they'll eventually control the digital distribution market and do exactly what they're doing now.

If you think them being a monopoly is a bad thing, then don't use it. You obviously have no faith in them. -.-

15. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Well said ... 3 times! ;)

16. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly#Monopoly_and_efficiency

Monopolies tend to be slow, inefficient mammoths. Society would be better off with more competition, better products and more sales.

17. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Disagree. All you need is the right people in any business to make it great. You don't need competition fighting on every front to steal your customers, including bringing prices down (ie, less R&D budget, less to spend on great people). Lower prices is great for consumers, not for future tech.

18. Saivert

Saivert New Member

well.. sometimes competition just brings everyone down on a mediocre level. That is not great for the customers.

In the push for profit they do whatever they can to squeeze every little penny out of the customer and forget the core values.

Also I don't see why Stardock can't sell Steamworks games if Valve removed it's tie in with the Steam client. The store section really should be separate in this case.

I'm perfectly fine with having ONE PC games management and community system (akin to XBOX Live and PSN) but having separate stores. This would of course require tons of cooperation between games developers and everyone using one unified and standardized system. tl;dr never gonna happen

19. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Member

i've used Steam from the beginning, you know the beginning when it didn't work, everyone was moaning about it and everyone said it would never work. look at it now! there is a reason it is way out in front as the market leader - they put the time in, listened to the people moaning about it and gave them what they wanted, unlike most, if not all, other companies that push their way of doing it and not listening to customers.

20. Orothe

Orothe New Member

"According to the standard model,[citation needed] in which a monopolist sets a single price for all consumers, the monopolist will sell a lower quantity of goods at a higher price than would firms under perfect competition."

Uh, the weekend sales. Isn't that doing the opposite? Selling a large quantity of goods at a low price? And without any competition? The point you try to make, my friend, just became invalid. =)

Tags: Add Tags