1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve hits Left 4 Dead 2 performance high - on Linux

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 2 Aug 2012.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

BLC is right. I'm surpised anything that's windows native can be made to run in another O/S. Quite frankly any of the major operating systems are capable of running AAA games. The game just needs to be written for the O/S be it windows linux or mac.

2. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Sure. But that is what Valve is starting with.
    If they can improve the gaming side of Linux starting from this position, it will be an achievement.

3. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Are you under the impression Valve is trying to emulate Windows-based games on Linux? That's certainly not the impression I'm having. From all I've read and seen so far L4D2 will be a native Linux application. As will all other Source-based games be on Linux. However, I wouldn't be surprised if STEAM for Linux came with some sort of Windows emulation layer for some other games. If for nothing else than to bolster the initial selection.

4. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

The impression I have is that Valve games will be native. If they can make a emulation software for other games I dont know.

5. Lantizia

Lantizia What's a Dremel?

More games than you realise (like all Quake and UT engine games) do already or could very easily be ported to Linux anyway as their engines have been built with Linux/Mac in mind anyway.

Roll on UT3..... FINALLY.