1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve interested in developing for Wii U

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Jun 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Steam on the Wii U? if this happens I'll eat my trousers

3. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

I like this. Nintendo needs some good third parties like Valve to make the Wii U more appealing to more people.

4. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I think Gabe has become emotionally attached to it as the controller weighs more than him.

Pliqu3011 likes this.
  5. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Good on them. They need to expand, but retain what makes them unique ...

6. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

A Scottish paedophile has raised a dispute with eBay.

He claims that the Wii Game Boy he received isn't what he was expecting.

7. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Yeah because the original Wii has been such a total flop without Valve.

8. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

It wasn't exactly amazing in terms of software sales. If Nintendo had been making a loss on the console sale it would have been disastrous for them since most Wii owners only played Wii Sports which was bundled with the system.

There really is no guarantee that lightening will strike twice either. I really have my doubts about the Wii U.

9. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

Not saying it was. There is just a large audience that the Wii never fully appealed to. If Nintendo can get them on board it will just be the North Koreans left to sell them to.

10. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Girls like the wii, and girls like Portal and l4d. So for Valves future games it could certainly be a success.

11. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

It does seem that nintendo want to aim back at the more "hardcore" gamers market, rather than the casual/family market of the Wii, so I would imagine that getting valve on board would be a big boon for them

12. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Most of the females that I know do not play L4D.......or Portal..

13. PlayedStation

PlayedStation Possessed like an apostrophe

Most of the females i know are either fat, ugly or slutty, wait, wrong thread.

14. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Uh, when did they EVER aim at "hardcore" gamers? No amount of Valve can shake off Nintendo's casual rep at this point, not after something like the Wii.

Though Portal on console definitely makes sense.

15. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

I'm glad to see there is potential for Nintendo to broaden its appeal. I look forward to the day when I can fully replace my pc with a console as my main entertainment centre. PS3 was moving in that direction with otherOS and then they f'ed it up.

16. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

Nintendo's first-party software doesn't do it's reputation any favours. The third-party stuff is a different story. Which console can you get Madworld and Manhunt 2 on? Getting more third-party games without the family-friendly direction can only be a good thing, as long as we don't just get the cookie-cutter Gears/CoD style FPS ports that seem to be the only qualfier the Xbox and PS3 have as "consoles for grown-ups".

17. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Thank you for contributing to the decline of PC gaming.

18. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

My concern is that, while having higher specs allows third parties to seriously consider porting more games to the Wii U, I'm afraid very, very few third party games will take advantage of the second screen. Sure, all the first party games will use it extensively, but if they are going to port, say Gears of War 3 or something to Wii U, they are not likely to use the second screen in any meaningful way. Which is why I still think they need a traditional controller, there are just too many games that only play right with a traditional controller. The Umote is cool and I'm interested to see what more creative developers can do with it (though to be honest, if you can't use two Umotes, I think that is a failure), but like the Wiimote, some games just don't need that type of control scheme shoehorned in. Take Zelda: Twilight Princess (one of the two main first party titles!): I really would have preferred to just use a regular controller for that; swinging the wiimote was clunky and imprecise and added nothing to the game after the first ooh-ahh moment.

It's funny, because I really, really like the "classic controller pro" for the wiimote, its one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever used, but its always freaking tethered to the wiimote! If it just worked on its own and worked with all Wii games instead of just Virtual Console, I would be a happy camper.

Tags: Add Tags