1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve looking to ditch Greenlight

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 16 Jan 2014.

1. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy New Member

The only time I ever buy from Steam is when the sales are on. Otherwise? Amazon all the way. I like having physical media.

2. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Looks like Greenlight... got the redlight. :cooldude:

Never really used it. The majority of the games were pretty obvious whether players would want them or not, with the most defining factor being production quality.

3. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Member

That I've got 200+ games worth a considerable amount of money that *could*, overnight, and with absolutely zero notice, become unavailable to me altogether, and permanently too.

Is this likely? Probably not. Can I suggest a better way of implementing DD? Probably not.

Does my inability to suggest anything better automatically make this an ideal situation to be in? Probably not.

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Well-Known Member

It's far too late to bitch and moan about your games potentially becoming worthless overnight after you've bought 200 of the buggers :D If you were genuinely concerned about such an eventuality, you'd probably not have bought the games in the first place. I suggest that you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

5. smc8788

smc8788 ...at least I have chicken

If you didn't want to be in this situation, then you probably shouldn't have purchased over 200 games on Steam then...

I have been hearing people whining about what would happen to their Steam libraries for the last 5 years and frankly it's getting a little annoying. Yet, 5 years later, Valve have never been in a stronger position and people are still whining about it. I'm sure you probably don't give crazy hobos prophesying about the apocalypse much credence, yet a plague of locusts is probably just as likely as you losing your Steam library.

If it was me I'd be much more worried about what would happen to the games I've bought on other DD platforms than those on Steam, because those are likely to be under more threat.

6. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Member

I'm not unhappy to be in this situation. As you quite rightly say, I've bought into this! I'm also not whining about Steam - it's the best content delivery system I've ever used; And I'm also not whining about Valve - good on them for doing so bloody well for themselves in a market that has apparently been dying out for years.

Is it not safe to explore the "what ifs" these days; to suggest that something that is good is still not ideal; to consider what happens if a morally-sound company gets bought out by a bigger fish that doesn't share the same ethos......can this not be done without being accused of whining?

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Exploring "what ifs" is fine if you want to spend your life worrying about things that may never happen like the crazy hobos prophesying about the apocalypse, the rest of us will deal with a problem when it happens.
    And It's all well and good to say something isn't ideal but unless you can come up with ways to improve the system, complaining about it achieves nothing.

8. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Member

I don't think *anybody* is sat around, wasting their life away, worrying about it. No more, say, than people sat in front of their computer, wasting their life away by telling other people they *shouldn't* be worrying about it on forums;)

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Touché my good Sir :D

10. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Member

:p

11. blacko

blacko New Member

i trust gabe.

Tags: Add Tags