1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve mere days from VR SDK launch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 10 Jan 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

all hail Sire Gabe and his luscious hair!

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Is I ever being sold to consumers ?
    How much longer is this going to stay a developers toy.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2014
  4. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Until it's working as Palmer wants. In the space of a year it has gone from cardboard and black tape to professional looking product in the hands of every game studio and integrated into the very powerful Unreal engine. Instead of rushing out and unfinished product (like EA force Dice to do), Palmer will only release when the latency is as low as he can get it, upper body tracking, display optimisation etc. It's amazing what's been achieved so far considering he started this all by himself at home. It's not a toy either, Any HMD with tracking has very serious and useful applications especially when you consider oculus displays objects at true to life scale.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/34771...t-of-ces-prize-with-prototype-rift/index.html

Last edited: 10 Jan 2014
  5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Well it will be a toy for me :hehe:
    I guess its like waiting any new anything, you know its coming you just wish it was here now.
    And hearing about new things being done with it just makes the wait all the worse :waah:

6. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

This is the greatest downside to Kickstarter. I'm finding it increasingly annoying to watch a video about a new piece of tech only to find that it doesn't exist and we have to fund it and wait xx years. I'm wondering if people will begin to feel "kick-starter anxiety" as more and more must-have items turn out to be projects that need to be developed?

It's amazing the way kickstarter gives people the opportunity to create their visions though.

7. iggy

iggy Minimodder

aww, boohoo, you have to wait. guess what kids, we were promised this **** in the 80s. us 80s kids are still waiting for our hoverboards, and kids from the 60s are still wondering where their goddamn flying cars are. tech these days is going from drawing board to end user product faster than ever so learn some ****ing patience.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

WOW :eeek:
    Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed didn't they :rolleyes: