1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve releases Half-Life sales figures

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Dec 2008.

1. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x New Member

Like ive always said when Epic games has had a moan about piracy, make a great game and they will come.

Plus steam rules and I said that from day one.....even when it took me 24 hours to download counter-strike 1.6 lol

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I hated Steam on day 1 but I had to admit there's nothing better out there (at the moment).

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg New Member

And thanks to r* and MS for pushing games for windows live we get to see just how superior steam is.

4. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN I want to change my name but I also don't

Why do you hate Steam? I have well over 30 games on it and never once did i have a problem. Except for when a damn tornado took their HQ down. Even then it was back online the next day. And the features are awesome. Like gift purchases.

5. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

YOU!

But m'eh, I just play it without Steam. Or on my Steam press account.

Besides, you let me play HL2 on your (then) better PC, so I think we're even. ;)

6. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

So really the only reason for poor sales is poor quality games... sounds about right to me. Don't see why all the publishers are bitching about it. Make a innovative new game make it good and you will see sales.

7. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

Its easier to blame piracy for poor sales than to admit that the quality of some games is just below acceptable. Doubt you can expect most companies to come out and say 'Yeah. The game was kinda rushed and rubbish', much easier to say 'It's the Pirates. Oh wont somebody stop those evil people!'

8. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

blizzard and valve easily show that PC gaming is hardly 'dead'. Those figures are impressive.. and I would add that when the Black Mesa Project is completed next year I'll totally be playing that :D

9. mooseguy

mooseguy Crazy Moose

Just to be pedantic, but Garry's mod is only available on Steam...

It is awesome though =D

10. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Part of it I imagine is frankly also imagining that the best that you can do is the same as the best that anyone can do. There are some VERY talented people at Valve.

11. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Valve I would say is one of the better gaming and business companies out there, sure they may take longer but typically its well worth it.

12. Grinch123456

Grinch123456 New Member

If they get any bigger, they'll blot out the sun!

13. Matticus

Matticus ...

I think you used to be able to get it straight from the garry's mod site, gmod9 I think you could. Maybe be wrong.

I bought the orange box from tescos for £15. I would have already had it on steam for ages but I don't have a credit card, and refuse to get one just for steam.

14. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

aye, piracy is ruining the industry yeah?

OKOK it doesn`t help anything, but then neither does over inflated prices and sub-quality games.

15. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

Yeah! I do wonder if part of it is just as simple as 'How come we don't sell as much?'. Valve has some amazing people in the game making end of things. Maybe this is why the Valve sales and marketing people don't need to make excuses for poor performance. I know piracy is a problem but it seems that some companies think it's the only reason for poor sales. I also fond of the notion some companies come out with that 'We predicted sales of this much. We sold less. The difference is clearly from piracy'... amazing stuff really.

16. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x New Member

He said when steam first came out on day one like I said it took 24 hours to download cs 1.6 everytime there was an update it got hammered to death and pretty crappy. Although I could see where they were coming from and where it was going and knew it would get better.

But it was bad when it started.

Possibly but why not? It's not like their making bad games and bragging about the sales.

But on the other hand they could also be bitch slapping all the companies that complain of poor sales and high piracy for poor quality games.

17. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Thanks. That was exactly what I meant. Back when Steam was new I hated it because it replaced a working system (WON) with a halfway-working system that kept crashing during updates and was just so much slower and complicated in comparison.
    Today I have to say Steam (or look/feel-alikes) will be the future and given they introduce regional pricing anytime soon they improved on everything. Though I still miss the integrated MP3 player or is one available that I just can't find?

18. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

But I like the sun :(

True enough, it is nice (In a way) to hear news not bleating on about piracy. I just hate Gabe Newell something awful, so when his company starts parading stuff that everyone pretty much knew anyway, it annoys me.

19. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I would give congrats to Valve for this, but it's not needed. Their work on the product is enough to stand on its own.

20. Daveoh

Daveoh New Member

The team (Team Garry) did not make $3million, here's why:
    * 312,541 sales equates to 3,125,410 USD (assuming everyone paid in USD at $10 each, which doesn't happen now on the Steam store)
    * Valve take a 50% cut, leaving 1,562,705 USD
    * This gets converted into GBP at whatever exchange rate (let's say averaging 1.8USD per GBP)
    * This leaves 868,169 GBP, which would probably be taxed at about 40% as an individual or 20% as a small company (from a quick look on HMRC), leaving 520901.4 GBP or 694,535 GBP respectively.

Admittedly it's still a lot of money to make from something that wasn't a job.

Tags: Add Tags