1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve, Shapeways partner on 3D-printed gaming merchandise

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 28 Sep 2017.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Staff Administrator

Read more

2. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I have a hard time not seeing this as a cash grab.

Valve very desperately wants to "let the community decide what is important," which really means that what they want to do is provide a platform for people to sell things, all kinds of things, and they take 10%.

They tried to do it with paid Skyrim mods.

They do it with community made items for TF2.

They do it with the marketplace for trading cards, TF2, CS:GO, and other items.

They do it with community skins for CS:GO.

They don't want to make games anymore, not unless they see it as a place where they can farm out free labor from the masses and rake in the value they create for themselves.

And I know that Valve has tended to be pretty hands off about licenses. Black Mesa is a recreation of HL1. Fans make and sell things and Valve doesn't get pissed off about licensing (unless people try to make a real business of it). For the most part, Valve seems to be quite generous with that sort of thing.

But that's why this feels like a cash grab. People were making files and sharing them with the community of fans and now they just want a cut.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Really? I think it's absolutely fantastic. I mean, anyone can now at any time make and sell A Thing based on Valve's IP, and it'll only cost 'em a 10 percent licensing fee - with no need for paperwork, lawyers, contracts, or other faff-arsing about.

Compare and contrast with Nintendo, which will super-lawyer you into next Tuesday if you so much as say the word "Mario" on a non-monetised YouTube video.

4. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I don't think it's quite like that. This is only a deal through Shapeways, so I can't make anything. I can design it, but I can only use Shapeways as my manufacturing platform.

Shapeways isn't cheap (sure it's reasonable for the service) and the 10% licence fee comes from the total cost of the item. If something costs £40 for Shapeways to print, I sell it at £50. Valve get £5 and I get £5.

Yes it's nice of Valve to provide one method to make something using their IP, but I'd still have to agree to their licence agreement and I doubt the licence says I own the copyright on my design - someone else could copy it, design their own version and put it up for sale at £45 and there'll be nothing I can do to stop them.

I too see it it as money grab for them and shapeways - there's no way anything can rely on it as a way of designing and selling licensed items. It's kinda cool, and we've not seen it done before. But still...

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yes, I meant "make" as in "design" rather than "manufacture."
    As far as I know, this isn't remotely true. I don't use Shapeways myself, but I know a few people who do; they hold the copyright on their designs and have all the usual legal protections against copycats.

Tags: Add Tags