1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve Steam Deck coming in December, starts at $399

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 16 Jul 2021.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Modder

Ah no, I think they are - I meant if the external drive is occupying the single C port, then there's nowhere to plug in a charge lead.

Thinking about it some more, the Deck battery would also need to power the external drive, so battery life gets squeezed further. Maybe the only way to use an external drive is via the dock (allowing for use of power passthrough to the Deck), which would mean you're limited to Type A on a drive, plus carrying a dock around, which is kind of defeating the portability aspect.

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I was thinking like..

A USB-C breakout cable with a USB-C port for PD and one for 'using' so essentially a Y jobbie so you can plug in something like a PowerCore III elite (which has 60w PD) to feed the drive and the Deck, or the Deck and the Deck feeds the drive. I did find a cheap nasty looking USB-C cable with that port config, but if it were me I'd want a better brand.

3. ModSquid

ModSquid Modder

That's not a bad shout - forgot about those (there is similar for charging phones and using 3.5mm headphones together). Would certainly be more portable!

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

You can get PD enabled USB-C hubs. One C cable up link and for downlink you have a C port for power, a couple A ports and ethernet, HDMI, etc.
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/uni-Remo...=1626685377&sprefix=usb+c+pd+h,aps,170&sr=8-6

Things like that work with the latest Chromecast with Google TV, it ought to work with Steam Deck running a more fully featured Linux. I think I've read somewhere that you don't need the official dock, it work with any USB-C hubs.

5. Xir

Xir Modder

Unlike the Switch wich is supposed to be very fussy about alternative docks/cables

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Valve updated the description of the storage:

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/tech

Tags: Add Tags