1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve strikes a CS in-game ad deal

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 20 Dec 2006.

1. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I'm a bit mixed on in-game ads. I really hate in your face type stuff, but I think things that blend into the background will improve realism and hopefully lower the cost of the same.
    For example, a pepsi machine in a corridor somewhere would be an acceptable ad.

2. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

I'm sorry but this is utter rubbish.

It's totally ironic that consumers are getting in line to bash on Valve whilst the games industry is patting them on the back for leading the pack in firstly e-distro and now in regimented in-game advertising.

I'm really hesitant to play this card because I don't want to come across as anything other than a student who is studying the games industry, but all developers want to do is make good games. They couldn't care less about lining their pockets. No body gets into development to get rich. It just doesn't happen. Not even publishers are making the most money; retailers actually scoop the largest percentage from every title sold.

But anyway, Valve are sticking it to the major publishers so if anything they are the antithesis of EA. EA exploit people and gobble up smaller companies whereas Valve have mastered their own electronic distribution service and could operate quite happily without any publisher support if they wished. Publishers are asking to publish their games! Valve are in a place where any developer with an ounce of sense should aspire to be, so it really is crushing when so many consumers complain about something as superficial as in-game advertising. People have been saying it's the next step for years.

It's not a fairytale and I guarentee that more money for Valve will mean better games. End of.

3. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

I thought valve was better than this, I hope they dont try and copy ea's spyware stratgey. I hope the ads are so minimalistic that they dont interfere with the look of the rest of the game, I could see a pepsi or coke machine where a soda machine would be but I hope they dont put up billboards, or enen better they stop it all together before it gets started.

4. xrain

xrain Minimodder

Wait... How is this going to work with 3rd party maps? Are they just going to "add" it in when you compile the map or is it just going to show up when you are logging into a server...

5. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

You know, I play games to get away from the painful reality of in your face all the time advertising in everything else I do. I certainly do mind. You want me to pay for a game with ads in it?

Screw you Valve, way to sell out

6. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

True, it is nice to sit and relax playing your favorite games without having all those adds shoved in your face.

7. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

I think i'm on that mixed fence too;

things like pepsi machines in corridors, or name brand places in the cafeteria of a level are really fine by me, but when you had things like posters for gamefly on the wall in bolivia (SCCT) or adverts for upcoming DVDs on nearly every terminal, it got retarded...

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Exactly. The ads in SCCT were the only thing I didn't like about the game. Only because they were so unfunnily out of place, no subtlety or logical placement. I wouldn't say they ruined the game, but they REALLY took away from the atmosphere.

If they want to profit from me, fine. But I'm not paying for games with ads in them, full stop. I'll buy a game with no ads, or I'll pirate a game with ads. Their choice - I don't greatly care. Especially since they're never contextually appropriate.

9. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

I really don't care what is in the maps themselves, aslong as it seems 'Part' of the map. To be honest I think you are all ranting about nothing, you'll learn not to notice them just like we do in the real world, unless they are ammusing which in turn would be an addition to the game (although I can imagine a clan match where a member gets distracted by a funny advert, chuckles to himself, then ends up getting killed for looking :) )

10. Spaced_invader

Spaced_invader What's a Dremel?

couldn't you theoritically stop this using firewall rules? ie blocking the add servers.. or even better blocking the valve update server to stop the update from happening

11. Vergil_117

Vergil_117 What's a Dremel?

pointless... people complaining over a poster in a game, so what if there is a coke poster or a poster of an old movie in a map like office. VAVLe KNOWS what it is doing when it is handling this kind of stuff. They didn't win hundreds of awards just to misplace coke machines and posters in random maps. Besides I don't see people complaining when they saw the sobe vending machine in the first SC game. Also you forget to look at it from their side, they are working on steam servers, keeping those up and managed, updates to multiple games at the same time, then working to add content to CS:S, then working on portal, ep2, ep3, source engine, and TF2, not to mention the X360 and ps3 versions of those games. At the end of the day that costs to keep all that going. VALVe is a small company still and the free to create steam accounts don't help that. Not that I'm suggesting taxing to create a steam account. Now go have an open mind instead of complaining.

12. Nature

Nature Minimodder

Those Filthy BientaI's!!! Wo cao ni Valve!

13. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I don't give a flying **** what Valve wants to do with the money. The fact that they're retroactively making people pay for a product stinks. They are making the user provide them with more income after the deal is done and dusted(and years old in most peoples case). What they want to do with that money is irrellevent, it's the fact that they're doing it that's completely wrong.

If they want to make better games then fine, good for them. That's nice. But by buying CS people did not sign up to buy every future game, they're not part of some communist agenda. Each game should be seperate and stand on it's own. That means funds should not be removed from one group of gamers to pay for a game that many of them will not want.

14. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

and all those hatred in BF2142 communities for putting ads ingame (which, IMO, suits nicely with the ingame environment, in contrary to what most people imagine; very few, subtle, and doesnt affect performance at all), and all those CS/CS: Source players bashing BF2142 players for still wanting to play and "be scammed" by IGA...

good luck! LOL

15. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I think most everyone is forgetting that the game is already littered with ads, but most of em are just old static ones when from the map is released, unless they put up adds out of place I could care less as they have been there since some of the maps were first made (office, siege, dust etc). Not to mention all the CPL maps have those rotating whirly ma-gig adds, and a long time ago I used to play on a server with this mod that would hang ads on the wall for what ever, some in really blatant spots. It didn't bother me until one of the models happened to be the same color of an add one day.

this is not a big deal, I can't even muster up enough effort to care

16. Sphering

Sphering What's a Dremel?

Exactly what I was thinking. BF2142 spyware and intell-gatherring is a dangerous route to take and should not be accepted, but I might not object too strongly to random reallife ads in the right places. Might even be better that some of the made-up nonsens ads we see in some games

17. MrBurritoMan

MrBurritoMan What's a Dremel?

gasp!! :eeek: WTF is valve thinking???? their video games are some of the best around and now they are going to be no better than some of what i see in my junk email accounts. are we going to have to put up with "enlarge your member for free now" while fragging online. geez this really ticks me off.... :grr:

18. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

You know... after thinking about it I am sure some entrepreneurial coders will find a way to hack the maps back or force it off their OWN servers.

Just like the rest of the world, if we as a consumer doesn't like something, we'll change it now matter what the law states.

The titles of good servers will be something like 100 TIC | FF ON | NO ADS

19. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

There's a big difference between a SOBE machine and what they did in CT. If you're basing a game in the real world, having actual brands is FAR better than generics, but if you're going off with a shetload of humorous companies (SiN Eps, now DOA), it won't work...

20. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

well if they make cs free then i would not mind the ads (sorta). I think its going to be a conpiracy. first they make a weapons buy system, Then they turn the weapons buy system in a wallstreet shareholders tool, now they add ads.

With the next upgrade you can buy the weapon you are using in the game for the price you bought it in the buy system, and you can pay with your cc card. Or get info from a website after you run into a add on the wall in CS...

The whole weapon industry is behind this i tell ya. they are funding this. They have oozes of miljons to bring to the cs laundry...

Tags: Add Tags