1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve's Newell hints at Steam Box announcement

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 17 Sep 2013.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I like this idea, get to build a mega pc which can handle split screen (or even two monitors) then stream it out to the steam os device.

2. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Wednesday it will be the reference design for a Steam Box.
    Friday, the new game engine.

My guesses.

3. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Does anyone else think that maybe we're heading towards a literal game server located in a broom cupboard in our houses, purely streaming content/gaming to 'terminals' throughout?

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Better to have it in your broom cupboard than some third party's broom cupboard imho :worried:

5. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Mainly for the latency. But yes, I'm all for fireproof safes buried in the garden rather than very public cloud storage!

6. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Waiting for the new game engine.

7. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

As much as I wish it to be true, I don't think they'll announce Source 2 tbh. Doesn't really fit within the entire “living room”-theme. The () + () implies something multiplayer or community involvement, I think.

8. theshadow2001

Ok, this time the next announcement will be the controller.

9. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Unless I dreamt it, there has been a mention of Nintendo and Valve in the same paragraph. It's too early to draw conclusions from that but a wild stab in the dark is that Nintendo are making an exit from the console wars, and partnering with Valve some how. Nintendo are going the way of sega, and I doubt anyone wants to see there talent go to waste. A connection being Nintendo's handheld tablet controller, and also Nintendo are kings of making controllers - Gabe has a heavy focus on controllers.

I wonder if SteamOS is already installed, or ready to be installed on a tablet - therefore today's announcement is the SteamOS and a piece of hardware, coming together right now ...

:rock:

10. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I think it also hint's on the link that controlling the console/SteamOS could also be the next big announcement or to be announced.

"Am I going to be using a mouse and a keyboard in the living-room?

If you want. But Steam and SteamOS work well with gamepads, too. Stay tuned, though - we have some more to say very soon on the topic of input."

Last edited: 27 Sep 2013
  11. theshadow2001

Talent? You've got to be kidding. They've been doing nothing but rehashing the same old titles and intellectual property for years. Their consoles are at best a novelty. I hope they don't partner with steam in case they drag them down as well.