1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Vandal Switch

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mopery, 18 Jun 2005.

1. mopery

mopery What's a Dremel?

I have a Vandal Switch that I want to use as a momentary on/off switch for my computer. I hooked it up and I got the light to work. But as soon as I plugged in my power supply cord the computer would turn on. And it would shut down after 5 or so seconds. This kind of scared me so now I’m using the old switch. But if you have used one of these before can you help me to get it to work.

How I hooked it up was with 2 wires. The Positive on the mobo connecter to the positive on the switch. And same with the negative. So that’s 2 wires in all.

Any help would be great.

2. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky What's a Dremel?

I have some computers that do the same thing you described if they are unplugged or turned off via the rocker switch on the back of the psu. Did you try turning on the computer with the vandal switch after it was installed?

3. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

sounds like the switch is closed. Since its closed it acts like you are holding the button down the whole time. open the switch then plug in your computer

4. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

The switch is in "on" position. Press the switch again.

5. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

But i thought all vandal switches were all momentary. So I would think his would be too.

6. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

not all of them are

7. Ghlargh

Ghlargh What's a Dremel?

It could allso be a NC (normally closed) switch.

If it is, you could either replace it, or use a 5V relay powered of 5VSB to make it NO (normally open)

8. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

You only had two wires to the switch? And the light was on and the computer ran without a push? You've connected it wrong, needs more than 2 wires.

Do you have a part number? 3 or 4 contacts on the switch?

Moving to Electronics

Last edited: 18 Jun 2005