1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Vega fail :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 6 Jul 2017.

1. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Told you (not you, personally - just generally haha) it was going to happen. How could it have not? The GCN architecture is inherently geared towards compute tasks, and Vega has a LOT of GCN cores. Once the miners found the balance between clocks and voltages, and a couple of sneaky driver updates from AMD helping them along, it was always going to fill the gap left by the RX series.

Which is fine, because unlike the RX series, gamers don't need Vega...

2. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

News to me. What program?

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I know next to nothing about mining so i could be talking out my portable cushion but could TheMadDutchDude be referring to this.
    Or maybe this..
    They both seem to be saying that's Etherium Mining.

4. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

hmmm, may have to see what settings they are using then.

5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

-40% power and roughly 1000 MHz on the core, along with 1100 MHz memory. :)

Core speed can only do so much for the algorythm. Memory OC, latency and sheer throughput are most important.

6. MLyons

Thanks, will try these when i next mess with the rig :happy:

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Good, maybe the RX580 will finally become available to gamers at a somewhat reasonable price if its no longer the prime Eth mining card so there is another choice for those on a budget than the 1060.

8. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

I think most cards will hold their price for the moment, if miners do move from RX580s to Vegas yeah that'll free some up, may reduce retail pricing (may), but would you really by any second hand AMD card if you can't know its history for certain? I'm guessing but wouldn't many of them have been running 24/7?