1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Very blue buildings

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by ssR, 12 Sep 2008.

1. ssR

ssR Carbon God

First of all, to the admins, i know that this is like my 3rd picture thread in the last few days, sorry for that, i just cant get enough of my new toy :hip:
    Anyway i was in Tel-Aviv today in the downtown area and seeing those buildings made me remember this month's POTM. It's not final yet of course, i was just thinking about it, anyway here are the pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To my taste there's just a little too much blue in both pics, i wish we had some clouds at that day, but it's just been crystal clear in the last weeks :(
    The shots were taken with circular polarizer. I actually took many shots with the 2nd pic trying to eliminate the reflections but after dling the images to my pc i ended up liking the one with...

Tell me what you think :)

Last edited: 12 Sep 2008
  2. eegg

eegg New Member

Looks great i like the different shades of the blue windows, did you try taking pics of all three buildings at Azrieli (first pic location)? anyway it's supposed to be cloudy on sunday so maybe try again.

3. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

First of all ssR, don't worry about how many threads you've posted. ;) Many of us go through "batches" where we upload a few threads' worth of material in a short while, usually when we each sit down to do some post processing.

Personally, I REALLY like the first one. But here's where Photoshop should be your friend - you need to do some perspective adjustment so that your lines are straight! With a bit of perspective correction, I would honestly think this is a GREAT POTM candidate. It's not speaking to me on some unusual level - but to capture THAT MUCH color naturally - it looks almost monochrome. I think it's a great grab and one that with a little post-process time could be really satisfying to look at day by day even if it's not some deep composition. It feels like an exercise in color - which is exactly what the POTM this month is!

Also present in that first picture is a happy accident - one of those windows is way brighter than the others, it's just about at a perfect 2/3 down the frame and it really creates a focal point without looking out of place. Kind of a place to "rest your eyes" from the sea of blues.

Normally you work to remove that perspective issue with something called a tilt-shift lens (not sure if you're familiar, so I thought i'd throw it out there) - but that is a VERY expensive toy. Fun...but very costly for what it is.

4. ssR

ssR Carbon God

DD i'm not sure what you mean by "perspective adjustment". I'm not really into PS except maybe some basic cropping and color adjustments, but do you, in some way, mean to distort the picture in a way it will look like it was shot from an eye level and not looking upwards? If so, how do i do it (a small step by step maybe? :D)

Thanks again

5. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Yep, that's exactly what i mean. :) I've got a fairly busy day today but sometime between today and tomorrow I will try to write up a little tutorial for you and post it here.

6. ssR

ssR Carbon God

No need. Found it :) Heres how it came out after some PP

[​IMG]

For some reason it feels a little tilted but if it works for you then it's fine with me :) Should i fine tune it further more or do you think its good as it is?

7. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

That's getting a lot better - still a bit more work to do though - look at the horizontal lines on the left building as your mark. You should be able to make them fairly level. :)

8. ssR

ssR Carbon God

This is the best i could do... Perspective adjustment mixed with some rotating. Don't know about you but i feel pretty satisfied with the end result :). and thanks for the tip ;)

[​IMG]

9. Vers

Vers ...

Enable a grid (View -> Show -> Grid) in PS in order to get straight edges. Keep an eye on the right hand side of the frame, if the closest windows are the same width at the bottom as they are at the top, you're fine on the one side. For the other side, line up the outer edge of the building with one of the grid lines. Also, it could use a bit of NR...my guess is that the shot was a little underexposed? Remove the sensor dust on the upper left side as well (clone stamp tool -> select proper diameter [slightly larger than the dust bunny] -> make sure the slider is on 0% hardness). After that you should have a very nice image.

EDIT: Much better...a little NR and your done.

10. ssR

ssR Carbon God

Vers, thanks, but please refer to my last update above. Also the pic was re-cropped so that dust spec is gone now (god you have an eye for details, i was only able to spot it after reading your comment and it took me like 10 sec)

11. Vers

Vers ...

Still need a bit o' NR ;) First: Duplicate layer, Second: Filter->Noise->Despeckle, Third: Filter->Noise->Reduce Noise. If it softens your buildings too much just erase the buildings on the top layer to reveal the buildings beneath (remember to hide the bottom layer prior to doing so).

Last edited: 12 Sep 2008
  12. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

WAAAY better. :D Now do a noise reduction as Vers points out - get used to doing that on anything with lots of one solid color. Adjust your contrast so the whites are whiter and the brights are brighter ;) and you've got yourself one FINE expanse of 'blue'.

13. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Very nice. I agree with the NR comments.

14. OleJ

OleJ Me!

YES! last version of #1 rocks!
    Very nice mate!!
    :thumb: and :thumb:

I find it really hard to catch architecture but you've aced it right there. Nice!

Edit: looking it over again I think I actually prefer the first version of #1 due to the dynamic lines. And I love that single window in the round building that differs. A very sweet detail.

Editedit: And as Da Dego / Brett says in his first reply... I can only agree. Wise words :) Enter it for POTM! :)

Tags: