1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very disapointed with WD Raptors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KolaKube, 17 Sep 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KolaKube

KolaKube What's a Dremel?

Just a post to say if your thinking of upgrading from a sata 7200 to a WD raptor I personally wouldn't bother.

I have just bought WD Raptors, the new 16mb cache versions.

Im not using them in RAID as Ive heard its a waste of time for a desktop envoronment.

Im using one for OS n Utilities and one for games and apps. I allready have a large PATA data drive.

I have noticed NO increse in speed of windows start up time ect. BF2 is exactly the same, trust me Ive played it enough to know.

Whislt I have no bench mark to evidence this.
    Im the sort of person who can look in the mirror and see ive put on fat without the need for calapers and 300 quid special scales ect and know my PC well enough to say that there is nothing special here

Im very disapointed! I was hoping for a 25% noticable increase at least when you concider Ive just paid 150 quid (300 dollars) for 70 gigs worth!!

:wallbash: Save your money!!!!

I may just give them a go in RAID as I have nothing to lose by trying.

Last edited: 17 Sep 2006
  2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

You should have asked.
    We would have said the same thing.

3. KolaKube

Think Ill Ebay them and get a some standars SATA 7200's.

Do you think Scan would refund me???

Has anyone anything favorable to say re raptors? Im trying hard to like my new purchase.

Biggest waste of cash for a while me thinks. Anyone affiliated with WD??

4. Glider

Glider /dev/null

This is more detemined by settings then by the HD.

Overexpectations! Even $500 SCSI disks won't give you a 25% NOTICABLE increase...

Yeah RAID them, and notice that RAID 0 is utterly useless for home applications (if you do a forum search, you'll find pleny of threads about this).

Don't bring this on to WD... They make great HD's, it's just you being uninformed that caused this waste of money...

5. KolaKube

Hmmmm Glider im no so sure.

Raptors are marketed as the best - the fastest - there nothing of the sort.

Overexpectations granted. But I beleive my expectations to be fair.
    I mean as opposed to paying 30 pounds for for 70 gigs of hard drive space ive payed a staggering FIVE TIMES this for no noticable improvment at all.

If they'd told me how little diff they would make I would not have bought them or even give them a second look.

I feel conned to be fair. If there so good buy them off me, I certainly won't notice there gone if you removed them from my system and replaced them with 7200 models for a fifth of the price.

Show me where WD state it will make only a tiny perfomance difference and then I will accept blame.

Pleased you agree its a waste of money!!!!!!!!

EDITED before any reply bellow

6. Glider

Glider /dev/null

So? Marketing... Ultra tight timings memory is marketed the same way... Do they improve anyting except synthetic benchmarks in such a way that it is noticable? Can't blaim a company for promoting their special goods.
    There aren't about RAID 0, and if you filter out the ones that use an informed oppinion, you'll ditch RAID 0 quite fast (ask Mister_Tad).

Note my comment about RAM...

Uninformed buying has fired back at you, and now you want to blame WD...
    You are a victim to marketing... Welcome to the 21st century...

EDIT:
    Manufacurers data isn't about objective comparisons... You should look for Tech sites (like bit-tech) for some third party comparisons. WD promote their goods as godly, can't blaim them for that. And obviously it worked on you... But you're in the wrong, not WD. But you can't seem to accept that. If it bugs you so much, try to get a refund.

7. KolaKube

Fistly - I edited my abouve post and stated on the bottom I had done so before a reply bellow. You had replied beore me so this is now not so. Fairs fair and just pointing this out.

Glider, I don't see why your so angry re this???

I dont care about benchmarks etc. I care about noticalbe different and there is none except for the fact my wallet is a lot lighter.

Uniformned??????? How the hell would you know how informed or other?? Are you saying if I asked around everyone else would say they were poor too???

And your defending these drives?????????

I upgraded my memory to 2 gig from 1 gig and BF2 ran far far smoother. So a NOTICABLE diff. Not a benchmark. In other words worth the money!!!

I upgraded my sound card to an X-fi - Miles better sound - no benchmark. In otherwords, worth the money.

I upgrade to raptors, NO NOTICABLE diff what so ever - a complete waste of money better spent else where - hence this thread to avoid anyone else falling into the same trap.

Are you just trying to be nasty here??? Or are you just in the mood for an argument?????

8. Glider

Glider /dev/null

If you look at the times you'd see I posted 2 minutes after you... I can type fast, but not in 2 minutes... So stop the whine please... I edited mine too, to add some more of your whine arguments... Actually, if you press the "Preview Post" and read your own post first, you save yourself lots of edits... But enough of this, back OT:

&&
    IF you did the effort to search for third party comparisons you would have notice that Raptors perform on par with the newer (bigger) hard drives. This whole thread just screams "non-informed owner disappointed"

For gods sake, learn to read! I defend WD's marketing strategy, EVERYONE uses it...

And going from 1GB to 2GB isn't the same as going from 1GB to 1GB thight timings...

&&
    No, I just hate spoiled brats uninfomed buyers attacking a whole (great) company because they were too dumb to scout around before investing, and now whine because they feel conned. If you took the time to look at some comparisons before you bought, ... [repeat the same for the 1000th time, hope you get it now]

EDIT: DUDE, type your posts in 1 time....
    Well, and if you read reviews about this, they would have agreed that there would be an increase in sound quality/ going from 1GB to 2GB... Just like they won't agree that Raptors perform better then newer drives... This thread is about you whineing about something you did wrong. Informed persons will look for reviews...

EDIT2: Fixed 2 typo's... Time pressure in this thread :sigh: :rolleyes:

9. KolaKube

Look glider, Im not going to have you insult me via this forum as you hide behind your monitor miles away. Wonder if your so arrogant and cocky face to face with someone. Big man eh??

I have nothing left to say to you, so please dont ever reply to me in a thread again.

I find you quite insulting and worse personal for no reason!!

Rather than wasting my time getting annoied with you anymore i simply going to ignore you.

The intention of this thread was to stop anyone else from sepnding a lot of money on not much.

10. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Whooo, scary... Now I pissed my pants... Man, if you can't handle someone that counters you (lets call it) arguments, you need to seriously grow up...

I live in a free country so I'll descide that myself. I have no problem disagreeing with someone on one point, and agreeing with the same person on an other.

Personal? Let's quote yourself:
    But I called you a spoiled brat (multiple times), but that is because of your behaviour. I started polite, but since you obviously don't want to see that it's your own fault, I added that to get your attention...

People that want to be helped, will find third party (neutral) comparisons, and they'll make their own descisions based on those, not on your uninformed ranting here...

And, feel free to report this thread to the moderators if you don't like the way it's conducted.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I have to agree with Gilder on most of his points but, Gild dude, dont rise to some emotionally charged challenge. You took the moral ground to start with but then everything had gone pear shaped.

Kola: take a break for 3 days to calm down and reconsider your conduct. You're are a victim of advertising and there are MANY MANY WD threads on here with benchmarks and discussions which you could have read. Get over it and move on. Raptors are good for random access speed only, not for loading games where the density on the latest SATA 7200 drives and the larger platter negates the WD.

12. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

LADIES!
    Plese put down the handbags and desist this sillines immediately.

KolaKube - Thats unfortunate that you notice no difference using a raptor as your OS/apps drive. Personally I notice the differences and would reccommend a fast drive to anyone who can justify the cost. (note I say to anyone that can justify the cost, as they are quite a bit more than 7200 drives for the performance increase)

Raptors are good for what ails what would be best described as "workstation" use, you're not likely to see any improvement in game loading times (sustained reads aren't really much better that current 7200 drives)

Have you investigated at all if there is a reason for the apparently lack of performance boost before dissing WD as an entire company?

edit: and yeah, what bindi said as well :p

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Well, that went well...

For any curious readers: Storage Review. Bookmark it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.