1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Very high CFM 80mm fan without sounding like a jet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nry, 23 Feb 2013.

1. nry

nry Member

I have a 2U server which has recently been upgraded with 6x Hitachi 7K3000 (7200rpm) drives, all stacked up close to each other.

These seem to be hitting about 55-70oC under load which is a little too high for my liking :worried:

Current cooling is 3x Sharkoon 1000 Golf Ball 80mm fans (one doesn't really cool the drives), and while these are completely silent they do not cool the drives at all, so much so I can't even feel any air being pushed when running at 12v

I need some new fans which have the highest possible CFM but are reasonably quiet, I have dropped in the cases original fans for now which can be heard on the other side of the house!!

Any recommendations on some decent fan upgrades for this thing which runs 24/7

I have found Coolink SWiF2-80P which is 52CFM at 19dBA, the thing is I find it hard to beleive they shift 50CFM at 19dBA??

2. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

ive always found noctua fans very quiet and shift decent amounts of air ( although the colour scheme leaves a little to be desired )
    the coolink fans you mention i serously dont think they would shift that amount of air so quietly ( its significantly above the usual 25/32 ~ cfm claimed at that noise range

3. nry

nry Member

Not too bothered about looks, soon as its racked up it will never be seen!

Not cheap fans, £12 each for a Noctua NF-R8 :eek:

4. Yaka

Yaka Well-Known Member

u am working on 2u nas my self but with wd red drives. ive been lloking into a cooling soulution and found 2 blower fans from gtx 580 cards which i am thinking of using, fans shift air side ways all iit needs is a shroud and some thing done to the wiring

[​IMG]

5. nry

nry Member

My only option really is 80mm fans. This is my setup and you can see the 3 fans, and the lack of holes in the back of the HDD unit!!

Really wish I went with 5400rpm drives haha

[​IMG]

6. Yaka

Yaka Well-Known Member

ah, i am using bare rackabke system 2u case. why not try and see if drilling holes in the back alows air through it

7. nry

nry Member

Behind that metal plate is the SATA backplane which has matching holes to the metal plate, doubt it's going to make much difference :(