1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Very low cpu fan speed, dark rock advanced + Asus P8Z77-V + i7 3770K

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bungletron, 7 Sep 2012.

1. Bungletron

Bungletron Well-Known Member

Morning

I helped one of my mates with a build yesterday, the mobo, cpu, cooler and ram had been pre-constructed by Scan. I made an error after install updating the motherboard bios to latest (1606), I had not saved the previous settings, on start up it appears to have reset to defaults and I got the low cpu fan speed F1 error.

In bios, cpu fan was set to the automatic normal profile but was triggering the alarm as it was spinning at 300 rpm or less, inspecting the fan it looked kind of slow, but core temps were around 30c. In the end I lowered the alarm trigger limit to 200 rpm and booted to windows, no change in fan speed or temps. Finally I started prime95 expecting the fan to spin up, to my surprise if it did it was hard to tell, core temps went to 60c and stayed there.

Does any of that seem right to you guys, it is a good cooler but is it that good? I hope it is no issue with the mobo or cpu either...

Last edited: 7 Sep 2012
  2. Cutter

Cutter New Member

I'm on an i7-2600K, ASUS p8z68 Deluxe GEN3, also with a Dark Rock Advanced and I initially got the same fan warning message after putting the PC together for the first time.

Depending on the use you put it to, that fan does a great (and quiet) job in cooling, and I think the default fan speed alert on the motherboard is just set a bit too high. After I set mine to trigger at 200 I don't get that message any more.

Piriform's Speccy tells me the CPU is idling at 33°C, motherboard at 30°C and graphics card (GTX 580) at 39°C sitting at a desktop just browsing.

Checking after an hour's stress testing on Crysis 2 sees those figures at 45°C, 40°C and 60°C on average (again, according to Speccy).

I should mention I'm in Scotland so ambient temperatures are probably a little lower than anyone darn saaf! :D

Instead of Prime95, try playing a demanding game for a bit as well as that will soon let you know if your fan is spooling up to cope with the load...

Aside: my motherboard also flashes up a "no physical disk present" message, which I think is because I'm running a pure SSD setup and am not (currently) using any mechanical HDDs.

Bungletron likes this.
  3. Bungletron

Bungletron Well-Known Member

Nice, thanks for confirming! In the end I went in the bios and set the cpu fan profile from Standard to Turbo, fan still refuses to spin up past 350 -400 rpm! Temperatures all appear fine, basically Be Quiet cooler + Asus fan profies = ridiculous.

4. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Well-Known Member

The bought disk present could be due to you using Intel Sata 3 ports and not the alternate controller.

I had that with Marvel Controller till i disabled it completely.

5. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Disable the controllers you are not using in the bios. If your not sure, check the manual to see which port your sata ia plugged in to.

My advice would be to use the intel port and switch unused ones off.