1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Very low down flash stand

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by steveo_mcg, 31 Jan 2013.

1. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Folks, I've got a shot I want to try and it involves getting the flash very low, like near ground level for up lighting a rider on their bike. My light stands at minimum, stable, extension end up a bit over wheel height, which I think is a bit high for what I want to try.

Any suggestions for getting the flash very low in a stable position?

Last edited: 31 Jan 2013
  2. Xir

Xir Modder

...I'm probably a bit dense.
    You've got a remote flash? Lie it down on the ground maybe? Or on a stone? :confused:

3. steveo_mcg

I've not tried it but I get a feeling that'll be too low.

4. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

I've laid flashes down on the ground. I use Nikon flashes that come with little shoe stand that works well for that purpose, you can buy them fairly cheap. I also have a little tabletop tripod (not that model but very similar) that I bought at a local camera store that I end up using with my flash more than my camera.

5. steveo_mcg

I might have a table top tripod somewhere, I've definitely got a little beanbag with a thread that might be heavy enough. I didn't get that little stand unfortunately.

Other thing I've just thought off, I could glue a thread into a bit of pine and make a small stake, it should on grass.

6. eddie_dane

Now you are using your puzzler. Once you have converted that shoe-mount into a tripod-mount (1/4" thread) then a whole new world is open to you.

7. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

8. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

Have you considered a boom arm to get it low to the ground? Extremely useful to have anyway.

9. steveo_mcg

Excellent, cheers guys.

My receiver will screw down on to a tripod thread but the receiver is about the height of a AA battery plus the flash the resultant unit is very tall and top heavy and unbalances my mini tripod. My flash doesn't have a pc cable port so I think what I need is a tripod threaded hotshoe mount with a pc cable. I could then just stick the rx beside or duck tape it to what ever I mount the flash on.

No, I'd never heard of one but I'll go have a look just now.

10. steveo_mcg

11. eddie_dane

Just beware of the super-cheap ones. I had several of those for using my pocketwizards on flashes that don't have PC sync ports and they can break easy which is not good when your flash is on a 10' high light stand. I've since bought some from zebraflash.com that are much better. If you are only using them every once in a while, go for it, just beware.

12. steveo_mcg

Cheers Eddie, I'll think twice about using it up high! The flashzebra ones aren't that much more expensive so I'll bear that in mind if I start to use them more than occasionally.