1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Video Encoding Opinions - software/codecs?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-16, 23 Oct 2008.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I'm just setting up a whole new CPU test bench suite and I want to know what codecs/transcoding/software people prefer to use. I'm looking for a mix of professional and free applications.

The only pre-requisites are

1: threaded - it must scale with SMT and CPU cores.

2: Offers a start-stop time (log file for example) so I can easily time it.

3: Simple. I have 750 tests to run, so one/two click is a big, big bonus.

Currently I have AutoMKV down because it's highly threaded and does VOB to x.264 which is highly appropriate.

I've got Sony Vegas Platinum 8 - professional software that encodes HD video including audio - also has a time stamp.

I'm looking at Cyberlink PowerDirector (easy to get hold of), TMPEG, something DivX?, Adobe Premiere (harder to get hold of Adobe stuff). I'll be getting some HD-cam footage for encoding too.

I'm just after opinions of what most people use their systems for and what the most valued encode/transcode you'd like to see tested in the future. :) Cheers.

2. bubsterboo

bubsterboo New Member

I use MeGUI with x264 and avisynth. With avisynth you write a script for the source video. You can chose any decoder you wish, meaning if you can play the video, you can encode it. Resize it, sharpen it, deinterlace it all with your script.

MeGUI is a nice frontend for x264 that explains all the options and gives you presets.

MeGUI produces nice logs with start/stop times and framerate achieved, etc...

Personally, for tests, id like to see 720p encodes from an AVC blu-ray. You'd have to install at minimum 3 separate pieces of software though. But after that you could have everything ready to go with opening up the app and clicking go. Maybe some kind of clever script could automate all that.

Last edited: 23 Oct 2008
  3. wharrad

wharrad New Member

Yep - use the same setup as bubsterboo, but encode at 1080p. MeGUI and x264 outputting to 7.6Gig MP4 files.

Would love to see benchmarks on this, as it's the most CPU intensive software I use.

Although understand if you've got a lot going on :)

Last edited: 24 Oct 2008
  4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ok I'll look into MeGUI encoding some HD footage in x.264 (although BD specifically is potentially illegal ;) and best not advertised on site)

Think I might do WMV9HD in Sony Vegas then too.

5. wharrad

wharrad New Member

Cheers! :)

Oh and yes, thanks for the heads up! I'll go and hide in a corner!!

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

MeGUI appears to be just a more laboursome version of AutoMKV so I'll leave that one out I think.

7. wharrad

wharrad New Member

Fair enough Mr Bindi :)

As long as the tests remain the same comparisons on compression time can still be made. Thanks for your consideration though!

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Gone for TMPEG and Divx 6.7 - DVD to 320x240 mobile Divx.

I'll also throw in some HD stuff later.

9. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

grab a look at staxrip x.264 very nice and offers logs etc use the built in dxva mode for hardware acceleration playback

i havnt used divx for over a 18 months now