1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Video Player

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dae314, 20 Sep 2011.

1. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

Heyo everyone,

Soz, my KMPlayer died on me the other day :(. It was a really good player that I've been using for a while now, but it up and stopped showing my subs (I watch anime) all of a sudden, and I was too lazy to troubleshoot it. I knew that KMP wasn't fully compatible with x64, but I installed it anyway and had no problems for the most part (although I noticed some options were broken, but those options didn't affect me). Given that the player was half incompatible already, and I couldn't get into some options I decided to just give it up. It was a sad day because I had no conception of what I could use as a backup player that would work like KMP on W7 64bit.

I came across something called PotPlayer which is supposed to be a video player based on KMP and developed by a few (or 1?) of the original KMP developers. From what I read about it, it seems to be an updated KMP with more/different features and *64bit support*. I jumped on it, and it plays what I want it to play well, but I'm not really one to judge media players. It plays my videos, and displays my subtitles (stylized for once unlike KMP :3) but other than that I'm pretty clueless.

Is there anyone here who is an expert/knows about media players and what they should/should not/better do? I want opinions and observations about the media player before I decide to commit and make it my new main, but I don't know what to look for. The player doesn't appear to have an official site (not one that I could find) so I find it just a tiny bit fishy...

~Dae314

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

VLC. That is all.

3. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

What Phalanx sad! Or if you want something a lil bit more minimal but with hardware accelleration I recommend Splayer

4. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

VLC or MPC-HC

6. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

Perhaps I was unclear with what I wanted. I don't want suggestions for a new video player. I want analysis of PotPlayer specifically. I used VLC before, and I did not like it as much as KMP. I've considered MPC before, but I really don't like how that player looks. MPC was almost what I downloaded, but then I found PotPlayer and decided to try that out. However, it's hard to find information about PotPlayer for some reason so I was hoping that someone here with knowledge of video players could fill me in.

7. Paddy

Paddy What's a Dremel?

I have never got on with VLC, so had exactly the same conundrum the other day.

My media player of choice was SMplayer, but recently it started crashing when any video ends. From scouring the internet it appears that PotPlayer meets all of my requirements, so I gave it a shot.

First impressions; I have to say I am very impressed as it plays everything I throw at it, it has a good yet simple interface and with very fast startup and close times.

The only problem I have encountered is it does not play ISO files natively, you can easily get around this by using CloneDrive (or alternative) to swiftly mount the ISO and then use PotPlayer to play the virtual DVD. Navigating of DVD menu's does work well, which is a huge bonus compared to other Media Players.

Hopefully this is of some help :)

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

To be honest, if there's no official site then I'd be extremely dubious. Keeping up to date with the latest version would be more difficult, and there may not be as much support available. Even if it's a collaborative effort between loads of people, there are still project sites like Google Code, Sourceforge, etc where an "official" site can be hosted.

The best thing I'd say to look for is whether a media player needs an external codec pack to work and, if you're into HD video, preferably one that supports hardware acceleration. One of the reasons VLC is so good is that it doesn't need any plugins or codec packs and plays pretty much every non-DRM format you can throw at it - that includes being able to select from multiple audio and subtitle streams in container formats like MKV (rather important for anime, which I also watch a lot of ;)).

To be honest, I've never really heard of any of these media players, except for MPC and VLC. I used to use MPC with some codec packs, but I long ago switched to VLC as codec packs are a complete nightmare to manage. Though I rarely use VLC; for watching TV shows (including anime) I tend to use XBMC. It's more of a media centre solution than a standalone video player, but once you set up the media libraries & metadata it looks fantastic. Like VLC, it doesn't need any codec packs and supports pretty much every format going (it's based on MPlayer). And there are metadata scrapers for anime series, too.

9. fredrikrob

fredrikrob What's a Dremel?

I am using VlC since i have started using the computer and haven't got any problem. It's really great.