1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Video Recording

Discussion in 'Software' started by lp rob1, 26 May 2011.

1. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

I'm trying to make a Let's Play Minecraft vid with a couple of mates, but I don't think I am doing it in the optimal way. I use Fraps to record the video, which has no problems, but if I use Record Audio Output and Record Audio Input (mic) then I get very bad sound quality through my mic. I also use Mumble to chat with them, so I have tried recording it in Mumble but it seems like a very bulky way of doing it.

On a side note, which is the best voice chat program? Skype comes to mind - but high latency isn't a good thing for gaming. I know Steam has a voice chat but it only works when you have bought at least one game. Which some of my friends haven't (shame on them). There is Ventrilo, but it does not work with Linux, which would be cool. Teamspeak is another option but I have not tried it.

Steam - not on Linux (unless through Wine), needs a bought game
    Skype - high latency
    Ventrilo - not on Linux
    Teamspeak - not tried
    Mumble - seems to fit all the boxes

Sorry to drag the post on a bit, but I have also tried dabbling with the echo cancellation setting of Mumble. I have a surround speaker system, and my mic sits on top of the monitor. This means that using normal settings, echo and feedback is horrendous. Headphones are a solution, but until Christmas when I plan to get a Razer Carachis my cheap Sony earphones are no substitute. And without the surround sound. Ideally the echo cancellation would reduce the echo to a point where it is almost inaudible, but the feature in Mumble only works part of the way.

2. Hazmatt

Hazmatt What's a Dremel?

I make Minecraft videos as well.

I find the best way for audio is just to let Fraps record system sounds and your mic input, so it helps prevent the audio desyncing and less work in post production.

To combat the feedback, you need to either move your mic closer to your mouth and turn speakers right down OR wear headphones! Wearing headphones will stop all feeding back and is the BEST way.

For voice comms I'd suggest using ventrilo (I believe you can run it on Ubuntu using something called Wine, I'm not an expert by any means) because it has the best audio configuration settings (that I've seen).

thehippoz likes this.
  3. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Hmm, I've seen comparisons of Mumble and Ventrilo and it looks to be Mumble leading the race. Mumble vs Ventrilo on Google leads to this page. Mumble has lower latency and auto normalisation. As well as native Linux support. And it is open source! :rock:

As I said, I tried recording my audio through Fraps, but the sound coming from my mic sounds completely different (worse) than the sound going through Mumble. I tried setting up loopback mode in Mumble but hearing myself talk is very annoying.

Another contender on the front - CamStudio. I was drawn to it because it is open source but have jet to try it. My friend also tried to record the Minecraft play and he used/uses BB Flashback. Although I doubt that he actually bought it :nono:

4. itrush07

itrush07 Minimodder

camtasia can create amazing screencast easily, you can also consider camstudio.

5. Hazmatt

Hazmatt What's a Dremel?

I've tried using Camtasia and it didn't seem to perform too well with recording games. Not sure if it was camtasia settings or Minecraft.