1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Video upscaling to HD

Discussion in 'Software' started by Synay, 26 Oct 2010.

1. Synay

Synay New Member

I was wondering, there are dvd players that you connect to a tv and they upscale dvds to full hd (give it not the same quality but much better than standard if you have 1080p TV). Is there any way or any free windows software that can playback dvds, divx's, mkv and so on and upscale them to full HD in real time? My favourite player is VLC, but I went through all menus and it can't upscale. In matter of the fact, same dvd looks better on the same tv when I play it back from Xbox 360 than my pc.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Spikey101

Spikey101 New Member

Heh, just did some google searching on this and found very mixed opinions... And all from 2007 nothing from later. A lot of people say certain programs, including VLC upscale automatically to your resolution (Obviously you have to have a 1080 monitor) and others say they don't.

I don't personally have a clue, but might be worth knowing...

3. Synay

Synay New Member

Yeah, Just built a pc and connected to my new Sony 40" TV. When I play 1080p video it's glorious but some of the standard content doesn't look so good, not even through vlc. That's why I was wondering if that's even possible, without re-encoding.

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

What spec's are you running on your PC?

Nvidia & ATi cards have the option to do GPU scaling but you have to turn off upscaling on your TV.

Arcsoft Total Media has a SIMHD plugin available that works as well.

5. Synay

Synay New Member

Basicaly my pc is a Core i3 @ 4.2GHz, 4GB of DDR3 and Zotac GTX 470 Amp.

6. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Just use VLC / MPHC or whatever. Ensure your PC is set to run at the native res of the monitor / screen and of course the player will upscale to fit the monitor.

DVDs that upscale to 1080p don't guarantee better quality than those that don't. The quality will only be better if their upscaling methods are better than those in the TV.

You'll need to test out different software to see which upscaling methods you prefer. But I use VLC on both Win7 & Snow Leopard and am very happy with it.