1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Videoegg Slow down

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Blazza181, 21 Oct 2011.

1. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

As you can probably guess, I am a firm supporter of the Bit-tech forums, and they have graced by times of boredom for many months. However, I have a slight issue with the advertising.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am perfectly fine with bit-tech having advertising. However, the movie-adverts from VideoEgg / SAY Media are significantly slowing down the loading of some portions of the forum. I often have to wait for ~1 minute for one page to load, mainly waiting for a response from core.videoegg.com. I have now resorted to using Adblock in order to load the pages at their former speeds. I am perfectly fine with advertising on a site - but when it slows down the site, I see a significant issue.

Now maybe this is just me, but I guess it could be a wider problem. If we had even an option to use the original, simple image adverts, or it provided from another company, it might just be easier.

Many thanks,

Blazza

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

This comes up at least once a week and the answer is always Adblock, BT did remove the BT(British Telecom) adverts that were so bad awhile back but there is no sign of moving to static adverts which is what everyone requests.

3. Blazza181

I know. I really respect the Bit-tech guys, and are more than willing to have Ads on a page so they make a living, but when it alone significantly slows down a page loading, it's a problem.

4. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

They've added so many ads that as I am on a capped connection I had to use Adblock just so I could browse without going over my cap. I found that lesson out a few months back to the tune of a $110 dollar overage charge.

I could sometimes wait 15 minutes on my 3MB connection for the ads to load, THEN I could see what I was going for.

I've simply started spending less time on Bit. That's quite a price to have to pay for their advertising.

5. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I have simply resorted to using AdBlock. Makes the pages load so much faster.

6. longweight

It would be interesting to see how many people do use Adblock as BT could be losing lots of money because the adverts are too heavy.

Maybe a poll?

7. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Just to clarify - I only use AdBlock on my school computer. It's a lowly 1,2 GHz Intel C2D so it hasn't got the grunt to load all of the pages. On my 2500k at home I just display it with all of the adds.

8. Blazza181

I think it would be a good idea. I'm perfectly in favour of ads, but ones which slow down a browsing experience are a big problem.

9. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

A C2D even at 1.2ghz would beast any webpage you gave it.

10. Blazza181

But one with multiple videos running?

11. longweight

So what voting options would you have?

1. I have always used Adblock.
    2. I have started using Adblock due to the heavy adverts on bit-tech.
    3. I don't use Adblock because I want to support bit-tech.
    4. I don't feel the need for Adblock.

Thoughts?

12. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

13. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I've never seen a slow down on my home computer. I do at work but that's due to the computers being slow on the internet in general which I think is down to crappy internet and crappy computers lol

I'd personally never use ad block, I can always browse a different site whilst waiting for bit-tech to load.