1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL Videos of awesome

Discussion in 'General' started by VipersGratitude, 1 May 2009.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Certainly not your average airfix build...

2. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Well-Known Member

Embed vimeo video

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

5. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Fellow of the Teelzebub Society

6. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

7. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

I thought I had already posted this when it came out, but the search bar returns nothing.

8. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Well-Known Member

9. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Fast and Furious, Romania edition :

No injuries, outside of a damage to the car.

10. Disequilibria

Disequilibria Member

That should be in demote.... So many straw men......

11. Kenny_McCormick

Kenny_McCormick Member

A teenager grows in me...

Last edited: 25 May 2016
  12. Pliqu3011

1. It's supposed to be a funny, silly video. Not part of some serious logical debate.

2. This is a pet peeve of mine and the only reason I'm replying... It's very important to be aware of the different logical fallacies, but on the internet I notice a lot of people have the tendency to just throw terms around without checking if they really apply. Especially the "straw man!!1" is so incredibly overused that I automatically start to roll my eyes when I read the term.
    A. You can't call the jokes straw men when they're either purely a joke (like the boobs thing) or mocking existing stereotypes about women (like mood swings, emotional vs. rational, etc.).
    B. The definition of a strawman is creating the false impression of refuting the opponent's argument, while refuting a different argument. In this case, the only argument that is "refuted" (again: it's a funny video, not an argument in some "debate". There is no "opponent".) is literally "girls don't/can't code". You don't even need to watch the video, just read the title. Are you implying that girls really are unable to code, and that this video is misrepresenting your arguments? (I really hope not)

---

13. Disequilibria

Disequilibria Member

(sorry for poor grammar used to keyboard and mouse rather than tablet)

Fortunately I’m not some wannabe internet philosopher who just discovered what logical fallacies are so you'd have no peeve to be petted and unfortunately it is likely you wasted your time replying since this isn't an inappropriate use of the term. if you just read their video press release, rather than recommending taking the titleon face value.

So I'll give my reasons why:
    1. The charity which releases these videos own website states that they want to use satire and humor to challenge apparent prevalent stereotypes about why women can't code. The article then goes on to state that the assumed problem of disparity in gender representation is driven by negative stereotypes and media about the ability of women in this field. (following the same vein as the authoritarian right when talking about how evil video games make people or the more recent authoritarian lefts try at this, media equals reality). So they state an argument throughout the press release
    2. The very first paragraph states that they are trying to spark conversation about unconscious bias and stereotypes related to gender and appearance that they believe have been used to exclude women from male dominated fields. Now last I checked a conversation is a debate when two or more people disagree (if you’re an economist it requires only one) and it seems like I and many others may disagree with this overall narrative they have. So we’ve ascertained there's a debate and an opponent.
    3. The article quotes their creative director stating “that when the girls themselves verbalize the biases it becomes abundantly clear just how ridiculous it is.” Well obviously because no one but the make me a sammich trolls are arguing that and even those trolls aren’t being serious. Must have got her idea of reality from a very literal take on south Park.
    4. Then look at their blog post about the video with some carefully selected quotes From their video’s comment section which in typical YouTube style Are brash and rude but none the less disagree and the post then goes on to state that this comment sums it up “this comment section proves why this video was needed” even though the cherry picked quotes didn’t stereotype despite the vitriol and generalised language
    5. Furthermore they self state it as satire which in itself is different from other humour in that it is meant to ridicule institutions and people through parody and sarcasm. Satire is the propaganda of the insurgent.
    Weirdly enough the same style of self satirising parody of a misogynistic professor is what got chemistry Nobel prize winner sir Tim hunt hounded out of ucl by the authoritarian left's shame brigade. But they only ever said what’s good for the goose… not anything about the other way round…

It’s quite clear that they are trying to argue and prove a point from attempted humour and trying to characterise the arguments made against the efforts of their group as absurd. I enjoy stand up comedy and comedy more that anyone I personally know and enjoy comics that I would vehemently disagree with in politics however they are largely trying to make a living telling their opinions and observations in a funny way. Where as this has a stated intent that they are trying to promote a debate (ideally) or their ideology (more likely).
    In effect they are stating that “this house states that negative stereotypes and sexism keeps women out of Coding”
    In effect they have an opposition that, wittingly they have invited to talk, stating that: “ this house doesn't not believe…. “

http://girlswhocode.com/press-relea...videos-about-stereotypes-in-computer-science/
    http://imagirlwhocodes.com

14. veryevil

veryevil Well-Known Member

Ready Player One!

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

The Popup Book of Japanese Castles... in LEGO! :jawdrop:

16. Pliqu3011

17. Pliqu3011

Context: Ethan and Hila Klein (people behind the H3H3Productions productions Youtube channel) are being sued by some guy they made a few jokes about in one video on their second "blog" channel, Ethan and Hila (after refusing to settle for a few thousand dollars).

TL;DW: The internet was wonderful and just in the last day put over 125.000$ in a GoFundMe campaign (that Ethan and Hila themselves didn't set up) to help pay their legal fees. In response, Ethan and Hila were wonderful people by putting the money directly into a fund that should help anyone who needs legal advice or representation for a fair use case, and acts as a deterrent for people who want to scare content creators into paying up settlements because they can't afford to be sued.

Last edited: 27 May 2016
  18. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

This popped up in my recommendations page and is pretty awesome. I would love to do stuff like this for a living!

19. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Well-Known Member

one of the first 200mb videos I ever downloaded from the internet and hooked me to sports cars ever since..

Stephan Rozer around Nord in a yellow board,

This is impressive driving and a great great video.

20. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

Well, one of the first 200mb videos I downloaded from the internet would be in violation to both youtube and forum rules to post.. :p

Great driving!