1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Views, Reviews and IMO's on these soundcards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by s1n1s, 5 Oct 2014.

1. s1n1s

s1n1s New Member

Hey Bit-tekkers,

I was wondering if I could get your feedback on these audio cards if you own them:

Asus Xonar DS

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z (OEM w/o casing or shielding, same specs)

Asus Xonar DX

Personally I'm not sure I'd benefit that much from buying one since I use a 7.1 USB headset and only have a 2.1 speaker setup. However that being said I'm a bit of an audiophile.

My speakers are a pair of Technics bookshelves with a 100W Yamaha sub-woofer hooked up to an Onkyo integrated amplifier (65W/ch). So as far as I can tell is that me getting soundcard would be supplying that with what it deserves haha (signal wise).

Price wise I don't really wanna have to spend more than what the DX would cost, but also don't want to spend money I don't have to in relation to my set up i.e. 7.1 is not really required.

So your thoughts be good?

Last edited: 6 Oct 2014
  2. davidbrown1988

davidbrown1988 Member

Hi,

I have the Creative SoundBlaster Z.

I have a Logitech 5.1 system (http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/speaker-system-z906?crid=47) and I noticed a huge improvement moving from a dedicated realtek card that came with the mobo.

I only use optical so I can't comment on the other outputs but the sound it produces is very clear. It actually formed the decision for me to make my new build m-ATX instead of m-ITX since I couldn't bear to not have the card after hearing the difference.

Software wise it has a nice switch between speakers and headphones so you can have two different setups. SBX studio does some pretty useful stuff as well. It takes a while of playing about to get things right for your setup.

Drivers - Creative drivers along with almost all sound cards drivers are known to suck. The drivers for these cards are supposed to be much better. I had one critical driver issue. It was a hot day in summer pushing 35c in the room and I had been listening to music loudly when I switched to watching a film and within 2 minutes of the film starting I lost all audio. Rebooting didn't fix it and so I thought I had blown / overheated my AMP as it was as v hot. I double checked the amp with another source and it was working fine. After about 90 minutes of pissing about with default audio devices and dolby dig etc it decided to just randomly start working again. It only did that once in the 5 months or so that I've owned it and I've had it in two different machines so hopefully it was just a one off occurrence, but still worth noting.

I also considered the Asus cards when I was looking, but ended up at the conclusion that for the price the creative soundblaster Z was the better card at the time.

If you consider yourself an audiophile it'd be between the Sounblaster Z & the DX as the DS is inferior to both.

I wouldn't say that you should stretch to the soundblaster ZX though as literally the only difference (on the cards themselves) is that it uses Japanese capacitors instead of Chinese ones. If you are interested theres a video here comparing them (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxv98pzB6qI) - skip to around 8 minutes.

s1n1s likes this.
  3. s1n1s

s1n1s New Member

Thanks for your view, will definitely take what you've said into consideration.

I'll admit I've been leaning towards the Z. I'll hold off from buying just yet hopefully will have someone who owns the DX comment. But so far what you've mentioned seems good for the Z.

much appreciated.