1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Vinyl Dye & Durability on high use equipment

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Denied, 22 Jun 2006.

1. Denied

Denied What's a Dremel?

I have seen plenty of people vinyl dying mice and the like. I am looking to dye my wavebird controllers for my gamecube. The stock nintendo grey, or nasty-ass grey as I like to call it, doesn't match ANY of my other pieces of equipment in my cinema room.

So my question is. How durable is the vinyl dye finish? And if it's not that durable how can i make it durable? My main concern is that it's going to wear off and then I will be left with a controller that looks even worse than when I started.

The most obvious solution that comes to mind is to lay down a couple of coats of clear coat over the vinyl dye, is this the standard solution?

I posted up in the xbox360 controller thread but my comment was missed I think... so any pointers will be gladly received.

2. pingthepiratehobo

pingthepiratehobo What's a Dremel?

dye = not paint?
    i thought the whole point of it is that it's designed to seep into the plastic and not rub off?

3. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Hi Denied,

Vinyl dye will actually dye the plastic, rather than just cover it like paint would, obviously a laquer finish will make it look good aswell as keep them nice and clean, but don't worry about the dye coming off a plastic surface ;)

4. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

My keyboard and mouse started wearing off after 2 years of very heavy use, but just in those places were my hands or fingers rest.

5. Denied

Denied What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys. I figure that my gamecube controllers won't get THAT used but wanted to be sure that when having drunken games of Mario Party that we don't all end up with black marks on our hands from the controllers!

I think i will go the vinyl dye and then a satin clear coat over the top... consider it added to the huge list of things on the drawing board.