1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Virgin broadband

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by darth_passy, 10 Aug 2009.

1. darth_passy

darth_passy What's a Dremel?

I've just had virgin broadband installed at home today but can't for the life of me set up the wireless router. when i try to set it up during installaition it says i can't set it up on my laptop because the wireless adaptor doesn't work with WPA (whatever that is).

Will i need to purchase a new network adaptor?

2. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

You could set the router to use WEP encryption. You can do it via the router's webpage. WPA is an encryption technique which secures your network from unauthorised access. WEP is less secure but you will be Ok with it. If someone is determined to access your network, they will regardless of whether you use WEP or WPA. Which brand and model is the router?

3. darth_passy

it's an ngear, so how do i go about doin that

4. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Are you using the router now with another PC? What is the model number of the router? You will find the model on a sticker underneath

5. darth_passy

no ive only got a laptop at the mo, only number i can find is part number; WGR614v9

6. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Thats the number I needed. Right, first you need to connect the laptop to the router using the Cat5e cable, if you haven't already. Then when that's done, you need to enter the following into the address bar in your internet browser:

Once you have done that, you should be met with a log-in screen. The default username and password are:

U/N: admin
    P/W: password

enter these, and log in. You should then be greeted with the routers settings pages.

Then you need to:

1 Select Wireless Settings under Setup in the main menu.

2 In the Security Options section, select WEP.

3 Enter a memorable passphrase in the relevant box and click generate.

4 There should be a series of numbers/characters appear in the four key fields. Make a note of the key in box one. This is important, the keys generated are case sensitive so ensure you get it right.

5 Click apply to save

6 Try connecting again to the laptop via wireless, and add the key from step 4 when asked for it.

7. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Any luck?

8. n1k_

n1k_ Ex Lurker

Ideally though you'll want to keep WPA on, as while both WPA and WEP are crackable, WEP is one hell of a lot easier to do (or so I've heard).

What laptop/network card/OS is it? As a simple driver update might be able to enable WPA support. Also, XP by default I don't think supports WPA, a patch is required (although it might be included in one of the more recent service packs).

9. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

I was with virgin last year, and their supplied "setup" software just crashed when I tried it. :wallbash: As stuartpb said, just enter the settings manually.

10. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

WEP can be cracked in around 50 seconds, meaning anyone with the tiniest bit of knowledge could piggyback on your wireless.

I'd strongly suggest you consider updating your wireless card if you can!!

11. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

And WPA isn't much safer either. If someone is wanting to access a network illegally, they just have to do 5 minutes browsing and bobs your mother's brother. I'm not saying don't use WPA if it is available to you but the guy did say he would rather not buy another wireless adaptor.

Here's what I mean:

There's plenty more tutorials like that.

The safest way to secure a nertwork is to manage it properly.

12. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

wep is a joke though.. you should be able to do wpa if your running windows xp- windows 98 you might be out of luck- it's just a driver issue not the hardware

wpa2 aes is what you would want to run if at all possible

13. darth_passy

the wireless router wont even connect wired, theres nothing wrong with my connection coz it works fine goin through the wired modem. my laptop is about 4 years old so thinkin thats part of the problem i dont know. is there anyway of settin it up without havin to connect it

14. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

reset the wireless router and connect it strait into the wired router.. see if it works like that darth

15. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Have you tried the install disk that should have came with the router? Insert that and it should auto run. Just follow the instructions on screen. If the install routine still doesn't work, unplug the modem, leave it unpugged for around a minute, reset the router (with the reset button at the back), and then try the install again.

EDIT: Here's the manual for the router too, you need to have a good read of it.

http://documentation.netgear.com/wgr614v9/enu/202-10308-01/pdfs/FullManual.pdf

Further Edit: What operating system do you have on your laptop, and have you kept up to date with all the Windows Updates?

Last edited: 11 Aug 2009
  16. darth_passy

nope, still not connected through wired. is it worth me investing in a new wireless adaptor for my laptop due to the whole security issue

17. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

When you connect the laptop to the router can you get to the router's browser page? Don't worry about it when the browser doesn't connect to your home page when you start the browser up. Just type the IP address I gave you:

If you still can't access the router, are you positive you have placed the cables correctly? Worth rechecking.

Some more info would be helpful too, what's the brand and model of the wireless adaptor, and what operating system are you running?Not being nosey, but it could help.:D

18. darth_passy

no coz it wont even finish set-up, it's connected and all lights green but it just doesnt recognize the connection between my laptop and the router, but i like ive said its fine through the modem just when i set the router up it just won't finish set-up

19. stuartpb

stuartpb Modder

Hook up the router to the laptop, then right click on the network status indicator on you task bar, then select repair.

20. glendronach

glendronach What's a Dremel?

Have a look in the laptop Device Manager for the make and model of the wireless adaptor.

If you need a new one and there is a compatible slot in the laptop Dabs sell Intel 3945abg mini pci ones which are WPA2.