1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Virgin Media Scammer? Coincidence? Issue?

Discussion in 'General' started by MiNiMaL_FuSS, 28 Feb 2022.

1. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Hi all,

Bit of a weird one for you!

So yesterday a young lady turned up on my door step, asking if we'd been having any intermediate connection issues with our Virgin Media. Said some garbled line about upgrading the fibre connections in the area.

I immediately assumed it was some sort of door-step sales from another company, so asked who she worked for - she sort of claimed Open Reach, but in hesitant way and had no ID, so I sent her on her way.

I spotted her later in the evening (some 4-5 hours later), still going door-to-door on the other side of my street.

Fast forward to today - my line is disconnecting very 2-5 minutes and I can't get any work done!

Was she legit? Did she screw with my cabling? Big coincidence?

Anyone had a similar experience?

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I've read similar stories on NextDoor. People say VM are having issues on VM in the neighbourhood, and around similar time I had someone knock on my door trying to sell BT Openreach fibre. I'm already on Openreach so no issues here.

May be there is a genuine VM issue or planned maintenance, and there are Openreach ISP chasing the wave of VM issues?

Personally, with the sad 50/10 Mbps offered by FTTC, I'm tempted to pay for 2 and run dual-WAN with Openreach as fallback so I can guarantee WFH and good internet at home. But I'd never go sole VM, I've been burnt by their non-favourable contention setting around 10 years ago.

3. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

we had one

we an email saying VM were doing 'routine maintenance' and services might be disrupted for a few hours across a specific day ( which happened to get sent straight to my Spam folder )

on the day we had someone come knocking on the door looking to talk to us about potentially signing up for TalkTalk ( i think ) and then we had another the next day who was operating ''on behalf'' of Openreach van saying 'lots of people in the area report poor internet performance, have you considered switching to BT

my guess is one was ''WELL AWARE'' of the maintenances and looking to snag people unaware and the second was a Fishing company who get a kickback from Signups going '''hmmmm there seems to be alot of people in this area looking up Virgin media status, lets canvas the area while the connection issues are still fresh in the minds''

told both companies to stuff off