1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Virgin Media - Superhub problems

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by bawjaws, 30 Jul 2013.

1. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

It's fine in modem mode but in normal mode it's ****, wireless is terrible and it can't handle simple tasks like refreshing a few server browsers without filling up the NAT tables and hanging.

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I'm keeping an open mind on the Superhub for now, but I have to say that the old Surfboard modem didn't give me any of the connection problems that I'm experiencing with the Superhub. Given that the only thing that's changed in my setup is replacing the Surfboard with the Superhub, and my connection speeds have been crippled ever since, I have to suspect that it's the Superhub that's at fault :)

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Ok, Virgin are going to send an engineer round to sort out the power levels. Hopefully this will get sorted, although I still can't understand why there's only a problem when the PC is powered on, and WiFi is getting 20Mbps as long as the PC isn't on?

Cheers again for the help guys.

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Just a wee update. I've managed to isolate the cause of the problem - and bizarrely, it's my monitor! :eeek:

With the monitor switched off, I can get 20Mbps over both WiFi and ethernet. With the monitor on but asleep (i.e. power saving in Windows), again I get the full 20Mbps. With the monitor on and receiving a signal, I get 2.5Mbps if I'm lucky. :confused:

I'll try moving the Superhub so it's a bit further away from the monitor (it's probably about a foot away at the moment) and see if that helps, although I'm not quite sure why it would make any difference. The only other thing I can think of it that somehow there's some interference between the ethernet cable and the DVI cable connected to the monitor, but I'm thinking that this is pretty unlikely given that I didn't seem to have any issues with the old modem using exactly the same cabling.

How bizarre. Aren't computers infuriating sometimes? :D

Ok, I've tried moving the Superhub about 8 feet from the monitor, to no effect. I've also kept the ethernet cable as far as physically possible from all of the other cabling, again to no effect. Finally, as an experiment I switched the monitor input from DVI to VGA, and also set the monitor to use an input that wasn't connected, just in case, and it made no difference. At this point I'm utterly frustrated and confused!

Last edited: 1 Aug 2013
  5. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Are you using a cheap ethernet cable? It might just have poor shielding...

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I've tried three different cables, and there's no improvement with any of them. I think that it's an issue with the Superhub itself given that the old modem had no problems playing nicely with the same monitor.

Here's something else that's quite bizarre: the hub is at the back left corner of my desk, a foot or two directly to the left of the monitor. If I turn the monitor about 30 degrees to the left, the speeds improve (although not quite to full speed). Unfortunately, moving the hub so that it's in the same place relative to monitor when the monitor is facing forwards (if that makes sense!) doesn't help, and I'm back to 2.5Mbps at best.

7. BeeP

BeeP Minimodder

I'm on 120meg & they have never even offered me the superhub......reading this I feel rather lucky.

8. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

To be honest, if the engineer visit tomorrow doesn't rectify the problem, I'm going to ask if they can just reactivate the old Surfboard modem and take the Superhub away :D

9. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I must bee the lucky one as mine has improved since I got mine

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

One final observation before the engineer comes out - switching my monitor from landscape to portrait gives me full speed connection! There must be some sort of interference coming from the monitor that's emitted from the sides of the screen rather than the top or bottom, and this must be interfering with the SuperHub. I've never heard of such a thing before, so we'll see what the engineer has to say about things.

11. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

The engineer was round this afternoon and confirmed that the signal level at the junction box outside the house was far too low. He's sorted it at the cabinet and everything works just fine again :clap:

He was completely baffled as to how a monitor could be affecting the Superhub, but now that the signal level is back up to full it's no longer an issue.

Have to say that the guy was tremendous, was extremely helpful and courteous and even spent some time up in the loft replacing an old Telewest junction box. :)

12. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

If you can try and get the superhub 2. We've one in the office an it's much better than the original one that we have in our bit of the office. The 5ghz is a major bonus too.