1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Virgin Media, was it just me?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Thermal5, 21 Jul 2009.

1. Thermal5

Thermal5 R.I.P

Or did any other Virgin Media ADSL customers have a brief outage about 3.45am where the green internet light on the Netgear router turned RED and stayed red for about 2 or 3 minutes??

Reason I ask is that it seemed very strange to me, I was simply browsing the web then someone pulled the red light switch and on it came, and off went the internet, displaying cannot display this page, kind of ironic hey lol!! I then logged into the router went to diagnostics rebooted the router, DSL light came on green light as usual, Internet light RED again!, then all of a sudden it went green and the Internet worked again, so I went to Outlook Express where the Virgin Media E-Mail's go and tried sending an E-Mail to support@virgin.net and got all the below which ends in 550 Administrative prohibition - unable to validate recipient.

Any ideas anyone on Virgin Media who have experienced this problem or even anyone not with Virgin Media.

Thank you

This is the mail system at host smtprelay01.hostedemail.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
    be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
    delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<support@virgin.net>: host smtpin.virgin.virginmedia.com[62.254.123.241] said:
    550 Administrative prohibition - unable to validate recipient (in reply to
    RCPT TO command)

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Well they are several things.
    - Modem received an update (yes, ISP's sends cable and DSL update... it's also your cable modem that keep track of the bandwidth you use (if you have a limit on it) and blocks your speed). Wait an hour and should be resolved
    - Modem lock-up or failed an update. Just unplug the modem power and router power. Wait 5min. Then, plug in order the power of modem... wait until it connects, then plug the router, wait until it connects, then try your internet.

3. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Thermal5 I'm a virgin media ADSL customer but was asleep so don't know about your problem but can you tell me if you have bad lag in one way or another during online games? Like people constantly teleporting, L4D constantly reconnecting to server etc.

4. Thermal5

Thermal5 R.I.P

Thanks for the advice but I don't have a modem, the ADSL plugs straight into the router and the router is the modem I guess, if that's what you meant? I don't have a Cable Modem and a Router because where I live you can't get Cable only ADSL, my dad gets Fibre Optic Cable and he has a Modem and a Router but on ADSL you only have one or the other as far as I know but I've only ever had a router.

Hi Storm,

I don't generally get lag at all (or I didn't do) but I haven't played online games for ages, I do know though if you are on ADSL and you download more than god forbid 350 megabytes before 7pm or something stupid, then you will get speed capped and that WILL definitely cause you to lag out in most if not all online games.

5. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

6. Thermal5

Thermal5 R.I.P

I did go there before I came here, and it didn't answer any questions at all, nor have Virgin Media got back to me when I E-Mailed them, in fact to my knowledge the majority of users on this forum probably have more knowledge than Virgin Media anyway.

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Yes that is correct. I was just following what most people have (modem + router).
    So, in you case. Just unplug the power from your 2-in-1 modem/router device. Wait 5 min.
    Then plug the power back to it, wait until it connects to the internet. You may need to restart your computer. Once all done your problem should be solved.

8. Thermal5

Thermal5 R.I.P

I did that as well, unplugged the power cable, plugged it back etc etc, it wasn't a fault at my end it was at there end as I've never had the problem before and it only lasted a little while, I just posted to see if anyone else had the same problem at the same time, it was never going to connect to the internet in the time the red light was on because that symbolises there is no internet.

Thanks for replying anyway

9. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Yeah that's why I went with them, although they cap you at peak times they don't care about your downloading during off peak times so I just download during 12am-4pm and haven't had a single complaint about downloading too much unlike orange, they were morons ^_^