1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Virtu connectivity question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Meaty Pete, 3 Dec 2011.

1. Meaty Pete

Meaty Pete King of the Potato People

I have the asus gene-z mobo and it only has one hdmi output on it and I want to connect a 2nd monitor.

I'm not looking to buy a graphics card for a couple of months so....

I am aware you can use the virtu software to use both a graphics card and the on board gpu processing together.

I have read that you can choose to use the mobo to output display signal or the graphics card to output display signal but I have a really old Nvidia 7600 that has a VGA output on it so.....

Can I use the onboard mobo hdmi for one monitor and the 7600's vga output for the other monitor simultaneously??

Appreciate any help or thoughts

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

No you can't.
    Virtu thingy, simply does what Optimus does, but for AMD and Nvidia GPU's. You connect your monitor to the Intel GPU, and the Virtu system sends all rendering task to the GPU, which it grabs the results and put it on your system RAM on the Intel graphic solution reserved space, making the Intel graphic solution think it's done the rendering job and output the results.

The draw back of this technology (including Nvidia Optimus) is reduction of CPU performance. The more the game (or anything that uses both GPU and CPU) is demanding on the GPU side, the less CPU power you have. Why? Because, the in order to access, read or write the system RAM, you need to use the system bus. The bus can only be used 1 at a time.. so as Virtu system sends the rendered graphics from the GPU to the Intel graphic solution reserved system RAM space, the CPU has to wait., creating a bottleneck.

Nvidia Optimus is available on laptop only, because you don't expect to get maximum performance, nor expect to play any games at max settings.. as it's a laptop, not a desktop machine.

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

If you have the option in bios for igp+pcie in graphics priority you should be able to do that. I don't have that board but the option is there on my Zotac.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Good point, forgot about that,