1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Virus -- FIXED -- WINNER

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Burnout21, 7 Jul 2012.

1. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Most annoyingly i can browse to regedit.exe with firefox i just can't open it! :waah:

Once i get the white screen of doom its virtually impossible to beat it on start up, worst still if i could get a CMD up it wouldn't be an admin instance running, unless someone knows a trick like Sudo/SU.

F*ck i miss a good terminal

EDIT, found many ways to bring up an admin CMD, but the boot process beats me

Last edited: 10 Jul 2012
  2. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

not sure if you have tried this , but if you have an extra machine that you don't use any more could you possible just boot the computer you are working on and then remote in to it and run CLI/CMD from there? Could be worth a try. Remoting in my change the permissions you have on it. I'm sure you have already tried booting in to safe mode, all 3 versions of it?

Last edited: 10 Jul 2012
  3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

doubtful as those services have to be activated during boot i believe so if it's knocking explorer.exe to the floor then sure as hell there not leaving those services up.

4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

can you run scripts at all? suppose you cant even copy something to the desktop now.

5. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

found this thread on the ubuntu forums.. you might try getting your windows partition booting from bios.. I can't really diagnose it from here.. I'd have to see what's going on before it gets supermonkied

post how it goes burns.. it sounds like needs to be kevin sorbo'd and yohaned with longweights hand

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11281581&postcount=18

6. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

It was just a thought, not sure if the remote process is the same as the normal local process for booting in to the OS. I'm sure that a lot of processes are the same but are all of them the same? The thought from above was when your computer only loads some of the OS features until you finish the log on ( I was thinking that the virus needed to complete the log on process local to be enabled that was the thought process any way) but I am in no way a programmer so it was just a thought

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Just did that as asked upon the buntu forum,

Gave no results in Terminal
    Gave output as to HDD type but no other info

8. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

Indeed, sounds like computer mega aids.

Keep fighting it, I'll be interested to see how this turns out.

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Potentially nuking it from orbit, its the only way to be sure

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

if you can, download the latest malwarebytes anti-malware, and run it in chameleon mode

for those that aren't aware, chameleon mode hides the details of the program, so malware doesn't block it from running

if you have it on a machine already, you can copy the chameleon folder to a memory stick, or cd, if you copy it to a cd you will need to copy to the hd of the machine you want to run it on, as it will try to download the program, if it isn't already installed.

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Shall try that, just got to reinstall w7 to do that... would be the 8th time today so not jumping at it

12. Margo Baggins

actually thikning about it - stick mbam on there and run the free trial for active protection, see if that stops the malware from starting/installing in the first place, might also give you clue where its coming from.

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

the major problem i have is even booting in safe mode with CMD prompt it fails to present the CMD.

I just ran MBAM with no results on a fresh install and only the network driver installed, shall progress until it falls over.

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

If you defeat this virus, your epic battle will be recounted by warriors to inspire them and stoke the flame of courage and steadfastness in their hearts. You will be honoured in their battle cries and remembered in their myths. Women will sing songs of praise dedicated to your greatness, and parents will teach their children to revere you. Young men will aspire to become like you, and girls will be awed by your prowess. Children will dream safely knowing that you stand guard over them. Your light will always show the weary traveller home. You are Burnout21, cyberwarrior, hacker, geek. Malware will have no dominion over your world.

Mechh69 likes this.
  15. thehippoz

no partitions on sda? what's "fdisk -l" show.. from what you posted it's booting in bios mode on the live too.. be nice to know if your windows partition is booting in uefi mode

btw you'd think the major antivirus makers would have a solution by now.. they've got all the time and money to put into these problems (that's if they don't create the viruses themselves- just to be the first to come out with the solution)

16. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

So I ran MBAM Full scan and all the MBAM chameleon tests - NOTHING FOUND!

17. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Just noticed HP has release a new bios as of yesturday!

18. Margo Baggins

Get it on there!

report back with what happens post flash.

19. thehippoz

default install is mbr with two partitions- that's why it's so puzzling.. there should be no way for it to rise from nowhere- I dunno what's going on over there but it sounds kind of unbelievable- like something a troll would make up in a computer forum

I'm sure it's real but I'd like to know exactly where it's hiding.. (my guess is some crack- as I'm sure it's not pebcak) :p maybe it got attacked from the back

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...e-firmware-interface-install-windows-7-a.html

20. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

After this many days of fighting this dam problem i find this slightly insulting to read suggesting that i might be trolling, I've never trolled.

With regards to 7 installing, i wasn't aware that it installed in two different modes 'Bios' or 'UEFI'

I shall dig into installing in UEFI mode and report back, the most important thing this morning is the bios update.

Carrie likes this.