1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Visa debit vs. Maestro

Discussion in 'General' started by specofdust, 17 May 2010.

1. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Back in my day you were damn grateful to get Electron when you were 16.
    ;)

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

he he....

Visa debit is accepted anywhere a visa card is.. anywhere in the world. Maestro isn't.

...and there's always the Steam issue.

3. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

Electron? when i was young i got sent a Solo card. I was pleased until i found out that nowhere accepts solo.

4. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

ah solo, ebuyer used it as well as paypal for, so managed to buy my own stuff online to begin with.
    As for Visa Debit, use it like a credit card. Most of the cash machienes i use these days dont know what to do with it (HSBC ATM's in canada just tell me "card not on file". its a HSBC card! go figure :wallbash: ) so i tell them its a credit card and i get monies!
    Incidently it works without a problem in Saudi.
    still got my Mastercard tho... id be annoyed if the HSBC took that one away from me.

Traveling tip :- always have more than two card companies when traveling. VISA and Mastercard (at the bare minimum). That way you have access to cash if you need it, and ignore Amex... its useless outsite of the US thanks to the crazy charges imposed on the business for the privaledge.

5. Tom @ CCL

Tom @ CCL AKA: Yewen

Im with Natwest and about a month ago got swapped from Maestro to Visa Debit.

Not had a single problem with it so far, even gets accepted at a newsagents my old card did not which is a plus.

6. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

I got swapped from Maestro to Visa Debit by Natwest, but they forgot to tell me which of my accounts it was for. They also said the PIN was the same, but none of my PINs work on it.

Managed to make an online purchase with it to see where the money came from, but it would have been easier if they just printed the account number on the card like they used to. :/

7. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

My NatWest Maestro is getting switched over to Visa Debit soon according to a letter they just sent me.

I'm quite glad, means it can be accepted anywhere a Visa credit card can. Includes stuff like xbox live and steam, so I don't need to use my credit card any more.

Then there's the issue of travel outside Europe, my friend went to Canada and the US for a year, hardly anywhere accepted his Maestro. It's fine in Europe, outside, it's almost as hard as trying to spend pounds in all countries.

8. RTT

RTT #parp

Might want to re-think that. Credit cards offer you protection far above and beyond that of a debit card. You gotta be pretty ignorant to use a debit card online if you've got the choice between that & credit

Last edited: 18 May 2010
  9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Isn't that mainly on orders over £100 though?

10. smc8788

smc8788 ...at least I have chicken

I think he was talking about if someone stole your card details and used it fraudulently.

11. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

I've had visa debit for 2 years, great card, accepted pretty much anywhere I've gone, including internationally.

I've only seen Maestro one place, and that is at a chain of supermarkets we have here that will take literally any card you might have on you that has money on it.

12. Lee @ Scan

Lee @ Scan Scan Computers

More and more banks are swapping to Visa now due to the Verify By Visa authentication system.

As such, I've noticed a lot of people who used to have Maestro are now getting VISA cards as a replacement.

13. RyanxD

RyanxD New Member

I've never had any problems using my visa debit, its been accepted anywhere I have tried to use it. Anywhere that takes a visa credit card will take a visa debit.